Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2012 17:00

Dell Insprion 620/Vostro 260 NO Bios Setting for AHCI

Dell Insprion 620/Vostro 260  NO Bios Setting for AHCI

Interestingly I could not even update the bios without the INTEL Management Drivers.

Checking in the Device manager the machine is using the ATA drivers not the AHCI drivers

AND the INTEL RST drivers will not install.

Why is that?

[:'(]

I did try updating to Bios version A04 but this made no difference.

7 Posts

August 28th, 2012 06:00

Ok, i have  patched A04 Bios for DELL Inspiron 620S and i get AHCI option enabled ...

Now the harder part, i'm looking for AHCI driver for windows XP ...

Original A04 Bios http://dell.to/HTcVvX

Patched one here

August 28th, 2012 07:00

For AHCI Driver: Simple: Either use an XP SP2/SP3 CD Disk or use (F6) the intel ICH10 SATA AHCI Driver.

Then, install Intel RST.

BTW, you can also enable Multi Graphics IGD in the bios....It works !

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 28th, 2012 10:00

It DOES NOT WORK and NEVER WILL because the H61 Chipset DOES NOT SUPPORT AHCI or INTEL RST!

:emotion-9:

Intel(R) H61 Express Chipset Family LPC Interface Controller - 1C5C

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C5C&SUBSYS_04ED1028&REV_05
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C5C&SUBSYS_04ED1028

August 29th, 2012 00:00

Sorry .... False - Plain False.

You really think that Intel is making a chipset with no AHCI support in 2011 ?

(We are not talking about RAID here...)

There's lot of H61 Mobo with AHCI Support, Directly from manufacturer (or with an hacked bios if the manufacturer tries to falsely segment his mobo offering...)

Even Intel H61 Mobo supports AHCI !

The H61 Chipset is an H67 with no SATA6Gb (Sata3).

It's not because DELL lists the H61 as not-AHCI capable that this is the truth...

If you want a screenshot of a working AHCI Windows 7 install on a modded Bios Vostro 260, just ask: It works.

I needed it because we are using SSDs, and Trim support relies on AHCI.

And BTW, the H61 is also dual screen capable. It's Dell choice to disable it. And of course it works if you reenable it.

Regards.

August 29th, 2012 03:00

For your Eyes:

A Vostro 260, windows 7 x64 in plain AHCI Mode.

7 Posts

August 29th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

I can confirm : Windows7 x64 -AHCI  OK , Linux Slackware AHCI OK . Also HDD Speed improvement too ...

Thanks ErwanLeBihan

I have a multiboot OSes and I'm trying to upgrade my WinXP  partition with AHCI drivers  without reinstall it

Best Regards

11 Posts

August 31st, 2012 07:00

I just started researching this issue, and came across this thread.  Petty amazing timing given it appears a viable solution has just been posted.  I'm attempting to follow ErwanLeBihan's instructions, but am unfamiliar with AmiBcp or how to use it.  Can anyone recommend a legit site to download?  And what version?

11 Posts

August 31st, 2012 11:00

I finally inspected your uploads and figured out you included a copy of AmiBcp with the patched version (Thanks).  I'm trying to exactly replicate your process, so I come out with the exact same exact patched file.  What exact settings did you change in the bin file?  In AmiBcp, Under Advanced, Sata Configuration, there is a setting called "SATA Mode".  I changed that to "USER".  Is that what you changed?  Did you make other changes?  I compared the resulting patch bin file to yours, and they are not the same.  Any help would be much appreciated.

7 Posts

September 1st, 2012 06:00

Simply compare original A04 Bios with patched one...

However you have to change :

Advanced menu -> SATA configuration  (from default to USER)

SATA Mode  -> (from default to USER)  and (From IDE to AHCI) and (from compatible to enhanced)

Which computer you have ?  If you have DELL Inspiron 620 is the same of Inspiron 620S..

Best Regards

11 Posts

September 1st, 2012 08:00

PippoXO

I have a Inspiron 620 (normal sized tower).  Yes, before proceeding with AbiBcp, I compared your original 620S A04 Bios to the original 620 A04 Bios, and verified they are exactly the same.

I wanted to repeat your mod/patch process, and then compare my patched file to your patched file.  I want to make absolutely sure (1) I understand the changes and (2) verify the file.  As you mentioned, I want to be absolutely sure everything is perfect before even attempting to flash.

I will now make the changes to the 2 settings you mention above, and report back if the patch files match.  Thanks so much for your help.

11 Posts

September 1st, 2012 09:00

@PippoXO

So, as you suggested, I loaded your patched file into AbiBcp, and there were FIVE changes that were apparent to me (highlighted in yellow on the two screenshots below).  However, when I make the same changes to the original 620 bios file, using the same version of AmiBcp, my patched file DOES NOT match your patched file (binary comparison).  What am I missing?

11 Posts

September 1st, 2012 11:00

If I can't figure out the difference, I will eventually just use my version (as you suggest).  I'm just paranoid of bricking my machine.  

You used the same version of AmiBcp, as you posted, to make the patch file, correct?  If you have a spare minute, I would very much appreciate if you could re-load the original A04 bios into AmiBcp, make the 5 changes and save, then compare to your patch file.  If you don't have the time, thanks so much for the info you provided.  :)

7 Posts

September 1st, 2012 11:00

The items to be' modified are these you have highlighted. I don't know Why patched bios are not binary the same. However you can use your patch.

7 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 01:00

AMIBCP calculates MD5 Checksum based on Date,Time, Binary Bios,ect. so is perfectly normal that  the same bios, patched in two different moment (with the same changes) differs by only six byte  ( calculated MD5 checksum).

I made some tries, all with same result:   six bytes different  at  400000h offset.

Best Regards

11 Posts

September 6th, 2012 06:00

I have some (noob) questions.

I have 1 SSD, and 3 HDD in my Inspiron 620.  I see from the bios settings that there are two SATA controllers.  Does each controller handle two SATA devices?  Does the SSD need to be connected to a specific port?  Also, will changing the setting affect one of the hard drives?

I also read some forums discussing potential problems when changing from IDE to AHCI mode, and making registry setting changes in Win7 or having to clean install Win7.  Is there something else I need to do before flashing and changing the SATA mode?

No Events found!