LitwDell
6 Indium

Re: Dell Insprion 620/Vostro 260 NO Bios Setting for AHCI

Jump to solution

I just started researching this issue, and came across this thread.  Petty amazing timing given it appears a viable solution has just been posted.  I'm attempting to follow ErwanLeBihan's instructions, but am unfamiliar with AmiBcp or how to use it.  Can anyone recommend a legit site to download?  And what version?

0 Kudos
LitwDell
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I finally inspected your uploads and figured out you included a copy of AmiBcp with the patched version (Thanks).  I'm trying to exactly replicate your process, so I come out with the exact same exact patched file.  What exact settings did you change in the bin file?  In AmiBcp, Under Advanced, Sata Configuration, there is a setting called "SATA Mode".  I changed that to "USER".  Is that what you changed?  Did you make other changes?  I compared the resulting patch bin file to yours, and they are not the same.  Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
PippoX0
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Simply compare original A04 Bios with patched one...

However you have to change :

Advanced menu -> SATA configuration  (from default to USER)

SATA Mode  -> (from default to USER)  and (From IDE to AHCI) and (from compatible to enhanced)

Which computer you have ?  If you have DELL Inspiron 620 is the same of Inspiron 620S..

Best Regards

0 Kudos
LitwDell
6 Indium

Jump to solution

PippoXO

I have a Inspiron 620 (normal sized tower).  Yes, before proceeding with AbiBcp, I compared your original 620S A04 Bios to the original 620 A04 Bios, and verified they are exactly the same.

I wanted to repeat your mod/patch process, and then compare my patched file to your patched file.  I want to make absolutely sure (1) I understand the changes and (2) verify the file.  As you mentioned, I want to be absolutely sure everything is perfect before even attempting to flash.

I will now make the changes to the 2 settings you mention above, and report back if the patch files match.  Thanks so much for your help.

0 Kudos
LitwDell
6 Indium

Jump to solution

@PippoXO

So, as you suggested, I loaded your patched file into AbiBcp, and there were FIVE changes that were apparent to me (highlighted in yellow on the two screenshots below).  However, when I make the same changes to the original 620 bios file, using the same version of AmiBcp, my patched file DOES NOT match your patched file (binary comparison).  What am I missing?

0 Kudos
PippoX0
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
The items to be' modified are these you have highlighted. I don't know Why patched bios are not binary the same. However you can use your patch.
0 Kudos
LitwDell
6 Indium

Jump to solution

If I can't figure out the difference, I will eventually just use my version (as you suggest).  I'm just paranoid of bricking my machine.  

You used the same version of AmiBcp, as you posted, to make the patch file, correct?  If you have a spare minute, I would very much appreciate if you could re-load the original A04 bios into AmiBcp, make the 5 changes and save, then compare to your patch file.  If you don't have the time, thanks so much for the info you provided.  🙂

0 Kudos
PippoX0
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

AMIBCP calculates MD5 Checksum based on Date,Time, Binary Bios,ect. so is perfectly normal that  the same bios, patched in two different moment (with the same changes) differs by only six byte  ( calculated MD5 checksum).

I made some tries, all with same result:   six bytes different  at  400000h offset.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
LitwDell
6 Indium

Jump to solution

I have some (noob) questions.

I have 1 SSD, and 3 HDD in my Inspiron 620.  I see from the bios settings that there are two SATA controllers.  Does each controller handle two SATA devices?  Does the SSD need to be connected to a specific port?  Also, will changing the setting affect one of the hard drives?

I also read some forums discussing potential problems when changing from IDE to AHCI mode, and making registry setting changes in Win7 or having to clean install Win7.  Is there something else I need to do before flashing and changing the SATA mode?

0 Kudos
Drop_da_base
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Before (ATAPI):

After (AHCI):

Next step is to get a SATA III card in there on the PCI Express 2.0 port. The SSD is a samsung 840 pro so good for 500mb/s read and write.  Are any particular expansion cards recommended? I'll pay up to about £30/$50. Any more and you might as well get a new motherboard for about $90 and get PCI-e 3.0, usb 3.0, sata III, etc, etc.  Am assuming the Inspiron 620 case is standard ATX?

0 Kudos