ErwanLeBihan
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Insprion 620/Vostro 260 NO Bios Setting for AHCI

Jump to solution

Why No ?

Because, even if you are not a Dell Rep, you ask like one and do not want us to modify bios to allow something that was restricted by Dell ?

In that particular case, It will be really a pity if Dell locked the bios in SATA (non ahci) mode for such a recent computer.

To be sure, as i can't extract the bios file as i don't have any inspiron 2020, i need the files in it: double click on the .exe, go to %temp% directory, there will be a new directory in it (i think in A04 named folder). Zip everything in that directory and give a link to it and I will have a look at it.

KHou
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks Erwan, I have uploaded zipped bios folder to my skydriver

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=0E07B226AF5151DD&id=E07B226AF5151DD%21116

0 Kudos
KHou
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I don't know if above link is working, or, try this one

http://sdrv.ms/13T4Hgo

0 Kudos
ErwanLeBihan
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

hi. Skydrive's link is working, but the bios is a new UEFI bios. I've never patched an uefi bios and will not risk giving you a modded bios I can't verify on my own.

0 Kudos
KHou
1 Copper

Jump to solution

thanks Erwan, this is a difficult one. actually, I have follow your way to modify it, but it was not working. then I have to wait to see if dell will update it in new bios.

0 Kudos
ErwanLeBihan
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

You can also try to have an advice from this forum: www.bios-mods.com/.../Forum-AHCI-Enabled . I Wonder how Dell can sell a UEFI bios without AHCI Option ???

0 Kudos
KHou
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thans, I will try to find solution in that forum. I found all aios in 2013 can enable ahci, except this model, if I know it before, I will choice others:emotion-6: 

0 Kudos
stb2
1 Copper

RE: Dell Insprion 620/Vostro 260 NO Bios Setting for AHCI

Jump to solution

Great Thanxs for all of you!

Especially for ErwanLeBihan, PippoX0 and Slikkster!!!

I got AHCI running on a "Inspiron 620 (Mid 2011)" and Win7 64Bit, and it works perfect up to now!

I’m patched myself the latest original Dell Bios, which comes as a download named "MS-A10.exe"

I want to give a short wrap up of this huge thread, with the information which was useful for me and took me a while to get it. Also the verification for Bios version A10. All information is already spreaded in this thread. So if you don’t understand any step, you have to read the whole thread.

The patch is no real functional change. It just makes "hidden menus" accessible in the standard bios menu of your PC. The menu is obviously deactivated by Dell, because they presumably do not want to guarantee that it works a 100%. It was probably not tested when they put this PC model on the market in 2011.  

• The used bios editor is called "AMIBCP4.53" and I found it in the posting "Posted by PippoX0 on 28 Aug 2012 6:22 AM" http://www.sendspace.com/file/je91vr . As a second source for the feature (if the link fails) I created also a download link which contains just the tool: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v10mg66q4bzxgfc/AMIBCP4.53.zip
  • In the posting "Posted by Slikkster on 14 Feb 2013 9:47 PM" I found the option "/forceit" for the original Dell Bios flasher (Background: The bios updater refuses to update, if the bios is already up to date)

1. Open the registry editor with command "regedit" on path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci" and change the value       "Start" from "3" to "0".
  2. Find your temporary folder: Open a dosbox and execute "echo %temp%" to print the path.(e.g. "C:\Users\stefan\AppData\Local\Temp" on my pc). Open it in the file explorer.
  3. Get the latest bios from the dell support page (is an executable)
  4. Just start it - nothing more! A folder called "MS-A10" will appear in the temporary folder.
  5. Go to the temporary directory and copy the bios file called "MS-A10.BIN" ( a file with size 4096KB) to another place. Close the tool.
  6. Open it with the bios editor (easiest way per drag&drop on the opened tool)
  7. Make the 5 changes, described by Litwell "Posted by LitwDell on 1 Sep 2012 9:21 AM" in the screenshots. Save! Reopen and check your Change!
  8. Start the original Dell flasher with the force option. e.g.: "C:\tmp\MS-A10.exe /forceit" (Slikkster gives advice for beginners in the post quoted above). If your BIOS is older than the one you are flashing, you can just start the "MS-A10.exe" with double click.
  9. replace the original BIOS file in the temporary folder with your patched version
  10. Press "update" in the Flasher tool and wait till finished.
  11. Reboot, enter directly the BIOS (press F2) and change to "AHCI" mode!!! Start windows, reboot once again, measure your speed improvement, enjoy your new fast PC!

To compare your changes you can download my patched Bios:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v85r7docamfx3c9/MS-A10_AHCI.BIN

If you use this file the risk is up to you!!!

By, and another Thanks to the guys who figured out this!

Stefan

bones1122
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Rehashing old thread but for the life of me I can not get this patch to stick. No matter which way I try this, after rebooting my machine it goes back to the original bin. I actually deleted the file in the temp folder and replacing it with the patched file that I edited, saved and also verified but it always go back to the unpatched file.. What am I doing wrong.

0 Kudos
stb2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi bones!

What i understand is that you

• started the tool
  • replaced the file
  • you pressed the "update" button
  • you saw some progress and a message the the update finished?

Than i would expect that if you reenter the bios you should find the new option. This is the way to proove the success of the procedure.

During the update the file is "burned" into the bios chip on your hardware.

What do you mean with "go back to the unpatched file" ?

0 Kudos