Dell Laptop Starts, but Monitor Doesn't Turn on

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have an older Dell Laptop (studio 1558) and the other day when I was using it, the monitor picture filled with 'static' and then the monitor went completely black.  Now when I turn it on it sounds like the computer starts up fine but the monitor is black.

So get an external monitor, easily solution, right? -- wrong.  Unfortunately when I hooked my laptop up to a separate monitor, the monitor (which works fine) did not display any images.  

Again I have had this laptop for a few years.  I do notice that you have to be 'easy' opening and shutting the laptop.  This has been the case for a few years though, so I am not sure if something finally gave...

I'm not the most computer savvy so sorry if I wasn't more detailed.. any ideas what's wrong or how I can fix this?  I'd rather not bring it somewhere to get fixed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

RE: Dell Laptop Starts, but Monitor Doesn't Turn on

Jump to solution

You'll probably get a better response if you re-post this in the Laptop forum and mention the version of Windows, too. (This is the Desktop forum.)

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Krypton

RE: Dell Laptop Starts, but Monitor Doesn't Turn on

Jump to solution

You'll probably get a better response if you re-post this in the Laptop forum and mention the version of Windows, too. (This is the Desktop forum.)

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos