Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2011 05:00

Dell Monitor is Blank

My computer has  been working, but this morning while using it the creen just went blank (Dell Monitor/ Dimension 5150/E510). I've rebooted and checked all the connections. When the computer starts up is has a series of beeps, but no screen. When I turn screen on the green light is only lit for about 1.5 seconds then turns yellow. When I disconnect from computer the monitor has a square with colors and self check. Any advice?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 07:00

I have an E510.

The problem is not with the monitor but in the PC.  Since you are getting beeps at power on they are diagnostic beeps that warn of a hardware problem.

Exactly what is the beep code?  e.g. 2 short and 1 long beep, etc. 

First suggestion since you are getting beeps is to reseat the memory modules and then power on and see if changes anything. 

27 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 07:00

The beeps are really more of  6 noises. more like a mufflled beep. This is when I turn on the computer- 6 of these. The monitor doesnt make any noise.

When I tough one of the buttons on the monitor the screen flashes that I am in Power Safe mode hit any key or move mouse. I hit keys and move mouse, but nothing.  Since I was using the computer, i do not know why it would be in power safe mode.

I do not have any clue what a memory module is!

27 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 08:00

I  may have found the memory moduals. I opened  case and cleaned with spray. Took out and rput back in the moduals and still nothing. Unplugged all cords and securely put in again too. Please help! This lap top im using is so old and soooo slow that its hard to even check this site!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 17:00

Herbiesmom,

Here is your troubleshooting guide <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>. Did you check the four diagnostic lights? The beeps are usually one or more long beeps, one or more short beeps, then one or more long beeps. Sort of like Morse code.

27 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 18:00

I do not know where the diagnostic lights are. The beeps are really more of  6 noises. more like a mufflled beep. This is when I turn on the computer- 6 of these;maybe 1 second each. The monitor doesnt make any noise. I will check out the tool you sent me, but because of the old condition of the computer I am using, I can not read all of it, so it will take some time. Please don't forget about me as I also have a few home things to do too. Thanks Osprey. Also, if it ends up being a memory card- where can I buy one? How much do they run and will i loose everything in the computer? i'll die

27 Posts

October 4th, 2011 07:00

I have taken out each card one at a time each and restarted, etc... still same beeps. About 6 long beeps with the monitor still not turning on. I do not hear any beeps that are shorter I have looked at the tool you sent me but still can not see any images on this old computer Im using to write to you.  Still only see two lights- Green Power light for the hard drive and the split second turn to amber for the monitor. I do not see any other lights anywhere- even with the hard drive cover off when I worked on switching the cards. I'm dying over here.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 4th, 2011 10:00

I do not know where the diagnostic lights are. The beeps are really more of  6 noises. more like a mufflled beep. This is when I turn on the computer- 6 of these;maybe 1 second each. The monitor doesnt make any noise. I will check out the tool you sent me, but because of the old condition of the computer I am using, I can not read all of it, so it will take some time. Please don't forget about me as I also have a few home things to do too. Thanks Osprey. Also, if it ends up being a memory card- where can I buy one? How much do they run and will i loose everything in the computer? i'll die

Herbiesmom

Your computer has four diagnostic lights labeled 1, 2, 3 and 4 on the front panel, you can find the location HERE, listed under Item 8.

Bev.

27 Posts

October 4th, 2011 11:00

Oh goodness! Okay I cant see any pictures or images in the documents everyone is linking to me (so I cant really use them),  BUT I finally do see the lights you all are talking about. After the 6 long beeps I have the "1" and "3" lights steady green. No others.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 4th, 2011 12:00

Herbiesmom

Diagnostic lights 1 & 3 indicate a memory issue.

First try opening the case, then remove and reinstall all the memory modules and see if this makes a difference.

No difference, try removing all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1, then see if the system boots and if the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots, no boot, try the module in slot 3, no boot, try installing in slot 4.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Still no boot try installing any remaining modules, one at a time, using the above procedure.

Continue until you have identified any faulty module [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

You will need the Dell Service manual, if you are unable to use any of the links posted, go to Dell's Support Page for the manual.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/manuals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml

Bev.

27 Posts

October 4th, 2011 16:00

I still get a "1" for each of the two modules themselves in each slot. Thanks for the link.. Since each modual showed a "1" are they both dead? Where do you get one? How much? Im unemployed and trying to send out resumes- that's why I have such an urgency... and no money. Thanks

27 Posts

October 4th, 2011 17:00

Also, please note the original problem- I was using the computer and the screen went blank. The computer turns on with beeps, but no screen. (well, I guess it turns on... sounds like it)

27 Posts

October 6th, 2011 06:00

Hello!???!!! I bought a memory modual and put it in each slot- Still same problem: beeps and "1". Don't know what to do as now this laptop is dying and my only alternative for reading answers is my ipod touch which is running out of battery that I cant charge if both computers are down. Please help!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 6th, 2011 07:00

At this point, I would bring it to a local shop for help.

October 6th, 2011 08:00

What color is the power button? Green or amber? Is it solid or flashing?

27 Posts

October 6th, 2011 14:00

Hi- It is SOLID GREEN. Does not flash at all

No Events found!