Herbiesmom
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Monitor is Blank

I still get a "1" for each of the two modules themselves in each slot. Thanks for the link.. Since each modual showed a "1" are they both dead? Where do you get one? How much? Im unemployed and trying to send out resumes- that's why I have such an urgency... and no money. Thanks

0 Kudos
Herbiesmom
1 Nickel

Also, please note the original problem- I was using the computer and the screen went blank. The computer turns on with beeps, but no screen. (well, I guess it turns on... sounds like it)

0 Kudos
Herbiesmom
1 Nickel

Hello!???!!! I bought a memory modual and put it in each slot- Still same problem: beeps and "1". Don't know what to do as now this laptop is dying and my only alternative for reading answers is my ipod touch which is running out of battery that I cant charge if both computers are down. Please help!

0 Kudos
7- Gold

At this point, I would bring it to a local shop for help.

0 Kudos
IcanBENCHurCAT
1 Nickel

What color is the power button? Green or amber? Is it solid or flashing?

0 Kudos
Herbiesmom
1 Nickel

Hi- It is SOLID GREEN. Does not flash at all

0 Kudos
Highlighted
IcanBENCHurCAT
1 Nickel

The motherboard has failed. It can no longer recognize memory.

I am sorry to hear this, as I know computer problems can be troublesome. You can find spare motherboard on ebay, but it will be more cost-effective to purchase a new laptop off of amazon or something.

Fix the computer: $~100

Buy a new one: $200-$300

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

Can you count the beeps? They should be a repeating pattern like 1-3-1.

The troubleshooter for this model is here.

EDIT: Doesn't have to be a faiiled motherboard. Could be bad RAM or a failed video card...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Herbiesmom
1 Nickel

I get 6 long beeps. the manual wants me to do a diagnostics but I cant as the whole problem is I cant see the screen. Thanks for giving me hope. I simply can not afford a new computer.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

6 beeps plus the diagnostic code point to a memory error. The module you bought simply may not be compatible with your Dell system so that won't us help solve the problem. Dell's are very fussy about memory.

Let's try something over again. I hope you know which are the 2 original modules and which is the new one.

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button on the tower for ~15 sec

Open the case and carefully remove the motherboard battery (note which side is up!)

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

Put one of  the ORIGINAL memory modules in slot 1 (NOTE: slot 1 is closed to the CPU; slot 2 is THIRD from the CPU). Leave the other module out.

Reinstall the battery (Right-side-up!)

See if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

If that works, repeat the process but swap the other ORIGINAL memory module into slot 1.

If neither module works in slot 1, repeat the whole process with each original module in slot 3 (slot 3 is second from CPU and has different color retention clips than slot 1)

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos