Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2011 05:00

Dell Monitor is Blank

My computer has  been working, but this morning while using it the creen just went blank (Dell Monitor/ Dimension 5150/E510). I've rebooted and checked all the connections. When the computer starts up is has a series of beeps, but no screen. When I turn screen on the green light is only lit for about 1.5 seconds then turns yellow. When I disconnect from computer the monitor has a square with colors and self check. Any advice?

October 7th, 2011 16:00

The motherboard has failed. It can no longer recognize memory.

I am sorry to hear this, as I know computer problems can be troublesome. You can find spare motherboard on ebay, but it will be more cost-effective to purchase a new laptop off of amazon or something.

Fix the computer: $~100

Buy a new one: $200-$300

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 7th, 2011 16:00

Can you count the beeps? They should be a repeating pattern like 1-3-1.

The troubleshooter for this model is here.

EDIT: Doesn't have to be a faiiled motherboard. Could be bad RAM or a failed video card...

27 Posts

October 7th, 2011 17:00

I get 6 long beeps. the manual wants me to do a diagnostics but I cant as the whole problem is I cant see the screen. Thanks for giving me hope. I simply can not afford a new computer.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 7th, 2011 18:00

6 beeps plus the diagnostic code point to a memory error. The module you bought simply may not be compatible with your Dell system so that won't us help solve the problem. Dell's are very fussy about memory.

Let's try something over again. I hope you know which are the 2 original modules and which is the new one.

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button on the tower for ~15 sec

Open the case and carefully remove the motherboard battery (note which side is up!)

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

Put one of  the ORIGINAL memory modules in slot 1 (NOTE: slot 1 is closed to the CPU; slot 2 is THIRD from the CPU). Leave the other module out.

Reinstall the battery (Right-side-up!)

See if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

If that works, repeat the process but swap the other ORIGINAL memory module into slot 1.

If neither module works in slot 1, repeat the whole process with each original module in slot 3 (slot 3 is second from CPU and has different color retention clips than slot 1)

27 Posts

October 8th, 2011 05:00

Also, if you suggest that I get another modual- do I get one or two since I originally had 2 in the computer? I wish I could send you a picture. The info on the original says "1GB, DD2, DIMM, F" and then AOTFT PO 133942.11

27 Posts

October 8th, 2011 05:00

Ron, I truly appreciate your help. I did exactly as you said and I got the same errors for each modual in each slot. 6 beeps and "1" light. Luckily I do have my originals and labled them so I dont  mess them up.  I did, however look at the modual that the tech kid at Staples assured me was the correct one. It does look different: Only has black boxes on one side, not both. Also I see a few little things that dont quite match. Should I try again with a new modual? Please let me know as my car died and I have to find a ride to Staples (DEFINITELY NOT my week!) to get a new one. I hope they let me return it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 8th, 2011 13:00

Some of the forum experts say 6 beeps on this model PC could be a video problem, not a memory problem.

Does your system use on-board video or do you have an add-in video card, such as an nVidia or ATI Radeon card? If you use an add-in card, try reseating it in the slot. Yyou can find it by seeing where where your monitor cable is connected to the PC.

You probably want to return that new memory module for a refund.  :emotion-5:

Ron

27 Posts

October 8th, 2011 16:00

Ron Ron Ron!!!! I have something! I was putting in the old cards again after returning the other abd searching high and low for some kind of video thing you mentioned. (Still don't know what/where it is. The only thing i see is blue case the monitor cord fits in to once inside CPU) ..........Made sure everything was good and tight. Must have done something right for once as the beeps are gone!!!!!!  The screen is on, BUT error message: "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure F1 to continue F2 to Set Up Utility"

-I hit F1. Oops received " Loading PBR for description 2...failed

I imagine I have to do F2 but dont know what to do in System SetUp.

I fear this was User Error (that'd be me), but I hope I just got lucky. It probably was me somehow and all of you will shake your heads and put me as a case study in your training manual. (FYI:I learned computers in DOS on a Radio Shak TRS-80 and used my Uncle's computer before that where he had a cassette tape (disk's werent around yet). I also remember mom using a key punch machine. Sad thing is it was only the 80s!)ANYWAY, Please let me know my next steps so I dont mess anything else up.

I don't have a floppy disk drive on this computer- never did so I dont know why the computer is seeking for one- even I could have told it seek would fail.

I'll be waiting and PROMISE I WONT TOUCH A THING!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 8th, 2011 17:00

Try getting a New CMOS battery and then default settngs on cmos to turn off the floppy.

Also try using only 1 stick of ram until this machine is stable.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 8th, 2011 20:00

:emotion-21:

Yes, buy a new battery (3-volt CR2032 lithium ion coin cell battery) which should only be ~$2-$3 at discount stores. After Inserting the new one, reboot and prress F2 before Window starts to open System Setup. In System Setup, look for the Diskette Drive option and set it to OFF. That will eliminate the floppy seek error.

Be sure to save the change before exiting System Setup.

Hope that's the last of your PC problems.

27 Posts

October 13th, 2011 07:00

well, it worked intermittantly for a day or two, which is why its been awhile.  i replaced the battery, again and now i'm stuck with the opening screen saying "Windows could not start because following site is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Configuration\ System attempt repair by starting windows set up using original set up CD ROM select 'r' at first screen"   I do not hve a CD ROM- Windows came with computer. Any ideas?

27 Posts

October 13th, 2011 10:00

Thank you I submitted the request. In  going to F2 to look up Service Tag, now the screen states:

Sometimes I also receive "Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done A disk read error occurred"

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 13th, 2011 10:00

If you're in the US, complete the form here, and Dell should send you the CDs for your system. They may be charging for disks these days.  If you're outside the US, you'll have to contact Dell support in your country or region.

Boot from the Windows CD and press R at first screen to enter Recovery Console. Run chkdsk c: /r first to check the drive for problems. When that's done reboot from the CD and run the Repair/Reinstall. The CD has to have the same Windows Service Pack as is installed on the hard drive otherwise, the Repair won't work. So I hope Dell provides a disk with the latest Service Pack.

You'll have to reinstall all Windows updates and hotfixes that were released after the last Service Pack, so after the Repair is done, go directly to the Microsoft update site and let it scan your system for needed updates, and install those.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 13th, 2011 12:00

Hard drive error.

If you can, reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. Go to Utilities partition and run the Extended hard drive tests. Write down any error messages.

If you can't get that to run, when you get the disk from Dell, boot from the CD and run the diagnostic tests on the hard drive.

What version of Windows is this?

27 Posts

October 13th, 2011 18:00

Hi! Im not sure what version of windows Im running. For awhile it wanted me to download version 8, but I dont think I did.

Ran the test- rather lengthy, ran it twice as I hit escape with 85% done!! Following are my error messages:

Error 5900:022D (TIme out error, waiting for user to complete test- I did after message)

Error 1B63:161B (User's response indicated a failure)

Error 1B63:171B (User's response indicated a failure)

The last two were when they wanted me to say my name and computer would repeat it back.I dont  I have a microphone

Those were my only error messages

No Events found!