Herbiesmom
2 Bronze

Re: Dell Monitor is Blank

Ron, I truly appreciate your help. I did exactly as you said and I got the same errors for each modual in each slot. 6 beeps and "1" light. Luckily I do have my originals and labled them so I dont  mess them up.  I did, however look at the modual that the tech kid at Staples assured me was the correct one. It does look different: Only has black boxes on one side, not both. Also I see a few little things that dont quite match. Should I try again with a new modual? Please let me know as my car died and I have to find a ride to Staples (DEFINITELY NOT my week!) to get a new one. I hope they let me return it.

0 Kudos
Herbiesmom
2 Bronze

Also, if you suggest that I get another modual- do I get one or two since I originally had 2 in the computer? I wish I could send you a picture. The info on the original says "1GB, DD2, DIMM, F" and then AOTFT PO 133942.11

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Some of the forum experts say 6 beeps on this model PC could be a video problem, not a memory problem.

Does your system use on-board video or do you have an add-in video card, such as an nVidia or ATI Radeon card? If you use an add-in card, try reseating it in the slot. Yyou can find it by seeing where where your monitor cable is connected to the PC.

You probably want to return that new memory module for a refund.  emoticon.Wink.title

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Herbiesmom
2 Bronze

Ron Ron Ron!!!! I have something! I was putting in the old cards again after returning the other abd searching high and low for some kind of video thing you mentioned. (Still don't know what/where it is. The only thing i see is blue case the monitor cord fits in to once inside CPU) ..........Made sure everything was good and tight. Must have done something right for once as the beeps are gone!!!!!!  The screen is on, BUT error message: "Floppy Diskette Seek Failure F1 to continue F2 to Set Up Utility"

-I hit F1. Oops received " Loading PBR for description 2...failed

I imagine I have to do F2 but dont know what to do in System SetUp.

I fear this was User Error (that'd be me), but I hope I just got lucky. It probably was me somehow and all of you will shake your heads and put me as a case study in your training manual. (FYI:I learned computers in DOS on a Radio Shak TRS-80 and used my Uncle's computer before that where he had a cassette tape (disk's werent around yet). I also remember mom using a key punch machine. Sad thing is it was only the 80s!)ANYWAY, Please let me know my next steps so I dont mess anything else up.

I don't have a floppy disk drive on this computer- never did so I dont know why the computer is seeking for one- even I could have told it seek would fail.

I'll be waiting and PROMISE I WONT TOUCH A THING!

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Try getting a New CMOS battery and then default settngs on cmos to turn off the floppy.

Also try using only 1 stick of ram until this machine is stable.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7- Thorium

emoticon.Yes.title

Yes, buy a new battery (3-volt CR2032 lithium ion coin cell battery) which should only be ~$2-$3 at discount stores. After Inserting the new one, reboot and prress F2 before Window starts to open System Setup. In System Setup, look for the Diskette Drive option and set it to OFF. That will eliminate the floppy seek error.

Be sure to save the change before exiting System Setup.

Hope that's the last of your PC problems.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Herbiesmom
2 Bronze

well, it worked intermittantly for a day or two, which is why its been awhile.  i replaced the battery, again and now i'm stuck with the opening screen saying "Windows could not start because following site is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Configuration\ System attempt repair by starting windows set up using original set up CD ROM select 'r' at first screen"   I do not hve a CD ROM- Windows came with computer. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

If you're in the US, complete the form here, and Dell should send you the CDs for your system. They may be charging for disks these days.  If you're outside the US, you'll have to contact Dell support in your country or region.

Boot from the Windows CD and press R at first screen to enter Recovery Console. Run chkdsk c: /r first to check the drive for problems. When that's done reboot from the CD and run the Repair/Reinstall. The CD has to have the same Windows Service Pack as is installed on the hard drive otherwise, the Repair won't work. So I hope Dell provides a disk with the latest Service Pack.

You'll have to reinstall all Windows updates and hotfixes that were released after the last Service Pack, so after the Repair is done, go directly to the Microsoft update site and let it scan your system for needed updates, and install those.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Herbiesmom
2 Bronze

Thank you I submitted the request. In  going to F2 to look up Service Tag, now the screen states:

Sometimes I also receive "Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done A disk read error occurred"

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Hard drive error.

If you can, reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. Go to Utilities partition and run the Extended hard drive tests. Write down any error messages.

If you can't get that to run, when you get the disk from Dell, boot from the CD and run the diagnostic tests on the hard drive.

What version of Windows is this?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos