Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2011 05:00

Dell Monitor is Blank

My computer has  been working, but this morning while using it the creen just went blank (Dell Monitor/ Dimension 5150/E510). I've rebooted and checked all the connections. When the computer starts up is has a series of beeps, but no screen. When I turn screen on the green light is only lit for about 1.5 seconds then turns yellow. When I disconnect from computer the monitor has a square with colors and self check. Any advice?

27 Posts

October 13th, 2011 19:00

Oops- your right! It was Internet Explorer 8! I waited to load it because I was afraid of errors! So much for that!

Yes, I have Windows XP

Hopefully they'll send it to me soon. I hate relying on an automated message saying they'll get back to me in 2-3 days...ugh

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 13th, 2011 19:00

Ummm... Microsoft hasn't released Windows 8 yet. You must mean Internet Explorer 8. :emotion-4:

Do you have XP, Vista, Windows 7? Press the Windows key and Pause/Break key together. When the System Properties window opens, click the General tab. It should tell you the version of Windows there.

If you're still getting the  WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Configuration\ System  error, you'll have to wait until you get the CD from Dell to run a Repair/Reinstall.

Before running the Repair from the CD, disconnect all peripherals, except mouse, monitor and keyboard from the PC.

27 Posts

October 17th, 2011 09:00

Hi! Okay, received CD from Dell- only question is: I received 5 CD's from Dell! Which do I use!?!

* Operating System (reinstallation DVD Windows XP version 2005 with Update Rollup 2)

* Dell Application (reinstalling Cyberlink Power DVD DX 8.2 software for WIndows XP...)

* Drivers & Utilities (Installing Dell DImension Computer Software)

* Application for reinstalling Dell Tool System

* Roxio creator starter (backup disc...???)

Also, while I have your interest- I want to back up my documents and photos(should this work). Not tons, but enough. What should i back them up on? A Memory Stick? What type/size? I have a few, but saw lots of digfferent ones out there and dont know what the sizes mean.

Thank you!

Lisa

October 18th, 2011 05:00

Put in the Windows DVD and turn on your computer. Press any key when it says "Press any key to boot from CD...".

It will load for awhile, then select ENTER to begin installation. It will say something like "I have found a prior installation, what would you like to do?"

Press R to Repair and wait for the installation to finish. This process may affect some programs like anti-virus, PDF reader and other software. If you have any problems with them, re-install any troublesome software.

In order to backup your data you should consider how much you have. Right-Click My Documents and select properties. This will tell you how many GB of data is in that folder. You will need at least that size of a data device.

My best suggestion is to get an external hard drive (maybe 250GB). It will be the same price as a 16GB flash drive.

27 Posts

October 19th, 2011 11:00

I put in the disk and nothing happens. The light on the disk drive lights for about 3 seconds and then nothing

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 19th, 2011 17:00

How many optical drives do you have?

Are you sure it's booting from the DVD? Reboot from the hard drive and press F2 before Windows starts to load. In BIOS setup, look for the Boot Sequence. Move the DVD drive to be first on the boot list. Now put the DVD in the drive, save the change to in BIOS setup and exit setup. It should boot from the DVD.

Caveat: If you have more than 1 optical drive and this doesn't work, try putting the  DVD in the other drive, assuming it also reads DVDs.

USB flash memory isn't permanent. Those things can/do fail (been there, done that). Your best bet would be to burn your files on CDs or DVDs and/or copy onto an external hard drive. More backup copies is always better!

No Events found!