7- Thorium

RE: Dell OptiPlex 755 No Audio Output device and no Sound/Audio in Device Manager

Jump to solution

You have rootkit malware and need to reinstall on an uninfected drive. Time to start over.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
KIW72
1 Copper

RE: Dell OptiPlex 755 No Audio Output device and no Sound/Audio in Device Manager

Jump to solution

Hi.

I'm pretty sure I have no malware or rootkits. Have run various tools and cleaners and found nothing whatsoever. The problems seem to coincide with Windows updates. I'm not noticing performance issues, very, very little spam and no unexpected pop ups. Also as many others seem to have encountered this sound issue on Dells, they all cannot have malware/rootkits surely?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
KIW72
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi.

Despite the insistence I had malware/rootkits I continued my investigation. I also noticed that Windows updated had stopped working around same time. I managed to get the updates working for MSE but not Windows. I joined the Microsoft WIndows 7 forum but didn't get much useful help. However in another old Microsoft forum I came across a similar issue regarding the updates which suggested registry errors as the cause and the proposed fix was:

Download WindowsUpdateDiagnostic and run then download MicrosoftEasyFix50202 and run.

They found several registry errors and fixed them. I did several re-boots then left PC for awhile. To my delight the Windows update function re-started and the Sound has been restored!

Hope this may help someone with similar Sound issues!

smilylink
1 Copper

Jump to solution

my problem is solved with this post

0 Kudos