Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2012 17:00

Dell OptiPlex GX270, Small Form Factor Desktop - no broadband :(

Hi,

I was surfing the net on the Optiplex earlier this afternoon. Tonight I started getting pop-ups asking me if I wanted a dial up connection? I cancelled them and they went away. Couple of hours later I could no longer reach the internet through broadband and the dial up requests started appearing again. I checked my connectivity (router) on the (different) pc I am typing this on and everything is fine. So why has my Optiplex cut itself adrift from broadband please?

Device Manager says "Ethernet controller is not configured correctly" plus big yellow question marks. Any clues please?

Many thanks,

Ric

14.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 09:00

Yes for the most part. The new card should come with drivers for that card. Make sure the card will support the version of windows you are running.

14.4K Posts

April 1st, 2012 18:00

Run virus and malware scans immediately. Then try reinstalling your nic driver .

512 Posts

April 1st, 2012 23:00

Have run all scans & there are no isuues thanks. How do I identify my nic driver please?

14.4K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 05:00

I went to try an locate it but there is an issue with the downloads for that system. I have reported it up the chain..

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2012 05:00

Hi Ric,

Have you gone to downloads to locate drivers for your system? That would be my suggestion.

512 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 07:00

Update: have found some downloads on the Optiplex - could be a red herring if it's something I loaded myself some time ago though. But what file name am I looking for please, there are hundreds of 'nic' files on the hard drive, presumably the NIC driver(?) I want has a name or version number that I can fine the search down with?

Thanks.

512 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 07:00

Thanks - will also check downloads. Meanwhile I am getting this bios message at boot up. The memory thing makes no sense. I hit F1 and the pc boots as normal, only now the NIC failure is mentioned in this bios message. Hopefully this throws a little more light on the issue?

512 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 08:00

Re Update. Can I acquire a new NIC ethernet card for this pc please? It's a plug-in PCI card by the look of it, I can just remove the old one and insert a replacement? Thanks again.

512 Posts

Great thanks - light on the horizon :) Will I just slot the old ethernet PCI card out & insert the new one please?

14.4K Posts

Yes you certainly can. It does appear from your bios screen that as far as the bios is concerned the nic failed.  New cards are very inexpesive and should get you back up and running

512 Posts

April 2nd, 2012 12:00

Thank goodness - have devoted hours to this pc - over several years - this may be the final hurdle.

No Events found!