Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 6th, 2016 05:00

Dell Optiplex 3040 cannot use both HDMI port and Displayport at same time?

I need some tech support on this computer/monitor combo…
I have the one monitor hooked up display port-displayport, it works fine.  The second monitor is hooked up monitor-DELL display port-hdmi adaptor, then HDMI cable to HDMI port on computer.  Computer sees the display port monitor only.  both monitors are set to monitor the display port .  Let me know asap, thanks..
I have the dual Dell displays, they only have Displayport and maybe DVI connectors...  brand new Optiplex 3040, had display port and Hdmi ports for video, need them both active at the same time to run the dual display...... OR does dell make an adaptor to run its dual display from one display port?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 16th, 2016 20:00

Optiplex 3040 onboard video out ports = HDMI, DP

A computer HDMI out port cannot up convert to a monitor DP in port via a straight cable. What you bought is designed to do the opposite; down convert a computer DP out to a monitor HDMI in port.

You would need to add an HDMI to DP Active Converter.

Computer HDMI out --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> HDMI in to DP out converter --> DP to DP cable --> Monitor DP in

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 6th, 2016 17:00

Which form factor, Mini Tower, Small Form or Micro?

What version of Windows?

Do you only have onboard video and no add-in PCI-e video card? If you have an add-in card, are you connecting both displays to the add-in card or to onboard video ports?

If you don't have an add-in PCI-e x16 video card with multi-monitor support you could install one in the x16 slot.

Have you looked at the Windows Display settings screen to see if both monitors are recognized and are set up correctly?

5 Posts

February 16th, 2016 15:00

I am having the same issue.  I have one monitor using the display port and the other using hdmi.  The hdmi cable is connect to an adapter that goes to display port.  Tech support had me update the bios and video software / driver.  The 2nd monitor is still not getting a signal.

5 Posts

February 17th, 2016 04:00

Chris,

Thanks for your help.  I should have researched this myself before relying on the tech at dell to do it for me.  So my two options are to purchase and ACTIVE converter that will convert the PC HDMI out to display port in on the monitor or have dell send me a PC with (2) display port outs?  This computer is a few days old and I specifically asked for it to run dual monitors with the configuration and any adapter they supplied. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 17th, 2016 05:00

They could possibly send out a video card. It would be easier to have Technical Support send you the HDMI to VGA converter 9XJND to use on the second P2016. You would also need a standard VGA to VGA cable from any other monitor there.

Computer HDMI out --> HDMI to VGA converter 9XJND --> VGA to VGA cable --> P2016 VGA in

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

What are the specific monitors?

5 Posts

Dell P2016

02YNCP

5 Posts

Chris,

Could I just get a female HDMI to Male VGA and use the HDMI cable I have now?

5 Posts

February 17th, 2016 06:00

www.everbuying.net/product1030320.html;gclid=CjwKEAiA0ZC2BRDpo_Pym8m-4n4SJAB5Bn4x75CBenbYR882aV7AOoZV4vSRdtC3vhQ-FoDPf8OsBBoC-l_w_wcB

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

It might work.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

I am not aware that such an adapter exist?

1 Message

December 22nd, 2017 08:00

I just ordered HDMI Female to VGA Male Adapter and will let you know if it works.      

www.amazon.com/.../ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

No Events found!