Dell Optiplex 755 Removing CPU Fan

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 mini tower and the past week or so there has been a ticking noise coming from the cpu fan area. I am not getting an error code when running diagnostics, it honestly just sounds like something is in the way causing the noise. I want to remove the fan and try cleaning it, but I have never done this before do not want to damage my cpu. I have looked on the Dell site trying to find maybe documentation on how to do this, but can not find anything and i dont have warranty any longer.

Does anyone know of a site or where on the Dell site to find documentation/videos on how to remove a cpu fan in a optiplex 755?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
The_Namek
4 Ruthenium

Re: Dell Optiplex 755 Removing CPU Fan

valley_girl1919,
Start here <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for the Optiplex 755 user guide. Choose the appropriate chassis type from that page then proceed to the Removing and Replacing Parts section. You shouldn't have trouble locating instructions for how to remove the CPU fan there.

XPS One. Core2 Duo @ 2.2GHz. 2 GB DDR2-667. WD2500AAJS 250GB SATA. Intel GMA 3100 video. 20" WSXGA HD LCD. 2 Megapixel Webcam. 8X DVD±RW. 8-in-1 Media Reader. 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless. Integrated High Def Audio. Internal Bluetooth 2.0. NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply. I looked in the Removing and replacing parts section and did not see anything for removing a cpu fan. I will keep looking.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

It doesn't specifically address the fan, but it does address the fan/heatsink assembly.  If you do that, make sure you have some new heat sink compound (Arctic Silver) as you will need to replace it.  This is not a job for many and if you don't have some hardware repair experience I would recommend not doing it yourself.  

But, I would look or listen closely with the case opened to verify that what you are hearing is actually coming from the CPU fan assembly.  

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
marky8790
2 Bronze

I would like to suggest you please don't go yourself  to check that,because it may harm the system if any wrong thing happens. Better you go to the dell service center with your purchase bill. If your system is in warranty period then you will get a free service or else you have to pay.

The world is not enough for me

0 Kudos
Tom-G
1 Copper

The other posters are correct.  In order to really get to the fan, you need to remove the heat sink.  And if you do that, you need to completely clean off the old thermal compound from both the processor and the heat sink using rubbing alcohol.  Then you will need some new compound like Arctic Silver to spread evenly on the processor before reinstalling the heat sink.  There are plenty of sites that give instruction on how to do this.  You might want to try using a tooth brush to remove any dust that has accumulated on the fan blades.  You can reach in from in front of the fan after taking the side cover off.  You can also blow it out using canned air.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

DO NOT Flood the motherboard with rubbing alcohol.  Cleaning of the Heatsink or cpu should be done OUTSIDE the case away from the motherboard.  Either the alchohol or the heatsink compound will short out the motherboard.  There are 2 captive screws that hold the heatsink in.  You loosen those and ROLL Back the heatsink and then lift out.  The Fan is behind that.

1. Rotate the heat sink assembly upward, and remove it from the computer.
    Lay the heat sink down on its top, with the thermal grease facing upward.

heat sink assembly

captive screw housings (2)

heat sink assembly

heat-sink assembly bracket

captive screw housing (2)

Its Similar to this but not quite.  The Principle is the same though.

Removing the Fan Assembly

1. Follow the procedures in "Before You Begin."

2. Remove the computer cover.

3. Remove the heat-sink assembly. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

4. Press the release tab on the fan-cable connector on the system board to remove the connector.

Dell™ OptiPlex™ 755 User's Guide

Mini Tower Computer <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Desktop Computer

Small Form Factor Computer 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Ultra Small Form Factor Computer

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos

So, if all I do is remove the heat sink to get to the fan to clean it I have to re apply thermal compound? Even if I am not replacing the heat sink with a new one?

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

So, if all I do is remove the heat sink to get to the fan to clean it I have to re apply thermal compound? Even if I am not replacing the heat sink with a new one?

Some will say Yes others will say no.  Depends on how careful you are.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
tonyantonio
1 Copper

what heatsink can I replace it with (new person)

0 Kudos