Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2009 10:00

Dell Optiplex 760 SFF PSU upgrade

Dear All.

Quick question wondering if any Dell expert could tell me if there is a way to supply more power to the micro mobo inside the Optiplex 760 system.. The small for fact size. I notice it has a 24pin smaller black micro atx connecter.. is this a dell connector only or can I find these somewhere else?

Many Thanks

d

4 Posts

January 5th, 2010 14:00

I already looked into this, not possible.  The SFF PSU is not a typical form factor.   You may be able to externally power the Mobo but that would be risky and not recommended.  

I'm looking for a low profile video card that will work with the 235W PSU of the SFF 760, it's not easy finding a lot to choose from since most require 300W+ or more.

64 Posts

October 27th, 2010 19:00

A pcie lowprofile card is what you need ,a great card is the ati radeon 5570 1 gig,I use the sharphire card with no problem,It says it recomends a higher power suply but the card is rated as a very low power card and it never really gets hot as far as video cards go.Going strong in mine for well over a year and a half now.Not great for gaming but alot better than most that will work on a buisness computer.

1 Message

March 24th, 2011 15:00

Hi, i know this is off a while ago but i thought id post this just too let every one know my experience. You can install a ATi 5670 in this system providing you do the following. Now this wont be to every ones taste but it worked for me. Buy a powered e-sata enclosure, insert your drive. Your system is now saving around 35-40watts, which is enough to let you enjoy a 5670.

January 27th, 2015 08:00

hey i know this post is a bit old but i was wondering if this is possible. i have a dell sff 760 intell core 2 duo e8400 running at 3.0gz. 6 gigs ram and a 160 hdd . i want to mod the case and will be running two power supply's. one to power hdd, all the fans in case, cd drive and was wondering if i can also power the 4 pin on the motherboard with a separate psu? i know the 4 pin adds power to the cpu so i figure i can save around 160 watts doing this letting me run and nice gtx 650 also plugging the 6 pin to separate psu. i have seen people run big cards with out running the hdd separate so i figure i can help the spu from over heating if i use the extra psu. i will also be adding extra cooling to the psu . ext powered . what do you think

1 Message

February 19th, 2015 08:00

I have that exact computer and YES it is possible.  I used an adapter that is available for standard  motherboard connections as inspiration:

www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1698/psu-daisy-chain-adapter.jpg

Dell uses that they call a "MICRO_PWR", proprietary, style connector to supply the motherboard so we don't get the luxury of a fancy adapter to add a second PSU.  However, it's easy since all that thing does is connect the green wire of the second PSU into the green wire of the existing as well as a black wire of the second PSU into a black wire of the existing PSU (any one of the many black wires will do).    I just cut the green wire and a black wire on the harness of the existing PSU.  I then cut the green wire and a black wire from the motherboard harness of the new PSU. Stripped the ends of all the wires and used a small wire cap to twist all the green wire ends together and another to twist all the black wire ends (You could solder it if you wanted instead, whatever).  The new PSU obviously doesn't fit inside the case, it just sits by itself behind it and all the wires feed through a hole I made by enlarging the already existing venting mesh in the back. Obviously, run the wires from the new PSU through the back before connecting the green and black wires into the existing PSU.

Game on dude!

No Events found!