Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2016 09:00

Dell Optiplex 760 Ultra Small Form Factor

Yep, it's old, but it's good!   :emotion-2:

How do you take the side cover off that surrounds the optical drive.

In the service manual I found online, there are no instructions for this.

Thanks.

Ken

June 8th, 2016 18:00

Hi Kspringer3

Thanks for writing to us. 

The cover you are talking about is usually a part of the chassis. On almost all the desktops only one side cover can be removed. 

Regards

17 Posts

June 8th, 2016 19:00

The cover you are talking about is usually a part of the chassis. On almost all the desktops only one side cover can be removed. 

Regards

But it does come off somehow.  We have one at work with the cover off, and no one currently working there knows how it was done.  And it looks like there is a piece missing from the removed cover.

I stumbled on the instructions for removing the optical drive from another model that utilizes the same case.  We have a couple of systems with the cover still on, and it may be the removal of the drive is the key.  Just have not had the time to get back to it.

June 9th, 2016 20:00

Unfortunately we do not have instructions for the removal of cover. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 10th, 2016 05:00

The optical drive in the USFF is a D Series module.  You press the button on the front and remove the optical drive by pulling it out.

SFF is Not the same as USFF.

Removing the side panel on the USFF is straightforward.

17 Posts

June 10th, 2016 07:00

I need to removed the cover with the DVD opening on the USFF system.

17 Posts

June 11th, 2016 04:00

Got it!!!  And, what a chintzy, cheezy design.

Pull the optical drive, and that side cover falls off in your hand!  :emotion-6:

The only thing  that keeps the side cover from coming off is having the optical drive installed, and the tab for removing the drive locked in with that very small screw.

No Events found!