Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2013 06:00

Dell Optiplex 780 Memory upgrade not working

1. I have purchase Dell Optiplex 780 that came with 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 memory. I wanted to upgrade it so I bought 4GB (4x1GB) RAM and tried to install it today. The Dell diagnostic lights lit up 3 and 4 which means that the memory is detected, but at fault. Now I doubt that new memory module are defective. Here's what I did to troubleshoot:

I took the original memory modules out and installed the new one. There are 4 DIMMs and I tried to put it out in all 4 DIMM sockets one by one but my PC won't be start and shows Dell diagnostic lights lit up 3 and 4. then I put my original RAMS but still same issue occured I also tried both Original RAMs one by one in all slots but same issue :(

I also tried with no memory installed but still Dell diagnostic lights lit up 3 and 4 and no beep heard.
    Can anyone helps me out what the actual problem is ???

1.3K Posts

July 20th, 2013 07:00

Hi Danish_smartpk,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

If the diagnostic lights 3 and 4 are lit, it is indicative of Memory modules being detected, but a memory power failure having occurred. You also mentioned that there are no beeps heard when no memory is installed. When no memory is detected by the system, it emits beep codes indicating the same.  If the systemboard is not beeping when no memory is installed, it could indicate systemboard failure.

It is generally recommended that the BIOS be updated prior to new memory being installed. Also, your computer supports a maximum of 8GB RAM, DDR3 SDRAM (non-ECC memory only). If it already came with 8 GB memory, it would not take a further upgrade.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me through a private message by clicking on my name highlighted in blue. On the next page, click the envelope icon and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

• System Service Tag No.:
  • Registered System Owner's Name:
  • Shipping address:
  • Telephone number/s:
  • Email address:

However, if the system is out of warranty, then you may contact a local technician for assistance with replacing the motherboard or contact our Expired Warranty Support at the link below:

http://dell.to/12LmNBq

Please feel free to contact us in case of further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

1.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2013 09:00

Hi Danish_smartpk, 

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

July 30th, 2013 11:00

Hi Babita,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am sorry for being late reply.

I follow your instructions and finally got that there is a problem with Motherboard. I replace the Motherboard with new one and finally Issue is resolved now. all RAMS are 100% Okay.

again thank you for your great support.

Best Regards,

Muhammad Danish 

1.3K Posts

July 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi Muhammad Danish,

Thank you for your reply.  It is great to know that the issue is resolved and  your computer is working fine now. 

Please feel free to contact us if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

1 Message

January 10th, 2014 08:00

I am very confused by this POST. I have the same issue going on but the computer will not accept a 4GB module but later in the post the person says it worked when they replaced the motherboard. I feel that this computer does not support a 4GB module even thought the spec sheet says it does. I would just like verification. Thanks

January 10th, 2014 09:00

I think you have use Unbranded RAM in your system. If you want to put Kingston or any brand unbranded RAM on it then it will not work.

My suggestion is plz use Branded RAM in Branded Dell Optiplex 780.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 10th, 2014 12:00

It also depends on the form factor of the Optiplex 780.

The minitower Optiplex 780 accepts 4GB RAM modules as indicated by crucial.com, but the ultrasmall form factor Optiplex 780 only accepts 2GB modules, again according to crucial.com.  Since Crucial fully guarantees the RAM will work in the system they recommended it for, or they take it back, you can probably believe what they're saying.

In other words, you can't blanket say the Optiplex 780 does or doen't accept 4GB RAM modules...

1 Message

January 14th, 2014 01:00

Hi,

If you have Optiplex 780 with 2 gb ram and you want to upgrade it ... you need first to install BIOS be updated

I face problem when i fix the new 4gb ram without installing  BIOS be updated but when i do it just work fine without any issue 

kind regards,

Emad

August 22nd, 2015 21:00

Danish_SmartPK, I too just bought the same machine (from bestbuy, comes with 1000GB HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo 3 GHz and Win7 Pro64) and I'm waiting on delivery, so i can upgrade the RAM as well.

I honestly hope that they don't put 4 sticks of 2GB RAM and use up all 4 DIMMs.  I pray that they have 2 x 4GB sticks, and leave 2 DIMMs open.

Crossing my fingers, waiting for delivery.

172 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 12:00

Just in case anyone wants to upgrade to 16GB, in one of the versions that has 4 DIMM's, here's the Crucial kit that got me there, purchased & received 2 kits. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00683X4PQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

And have the Speccy specs to show it.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Mq8NWTqu2ALP6qpoWypKqIW

Hope that this assists Dell Optiplex 780 owners in upgrading their computers. Though don't expect, if 8Gb RAM is already installed, a WEI increase, mine for RAM still shows 7.3, despite the RAM has doubled. Yet I won't worry about that, I know what I have, hopefully a powerhouse legacy PC that'll last at least 5 more years.

Cat

No Events found!