Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2007 05:00

Dell Optiplex GX260 will not detect Cd or Hard Drive

I have a Dell Optiplex GX260, when you turn it on, it will try to boot up but soon displays the error message "Boot device not found." But the hard drive is connected. Another problem with the computer is that the cd drive will not eject and the power is connected to it. I have tried resetting the IDE (data) cables but to no avail. Has someone on here had the same problem and solved it?

April 20th, 2007 02:00

In relation to the CD-ROM, you only need a power cable plugged into it to eject it, so if you have that plugged in and the drive won't eject, try a metal clip in the small hole in the front, the drive may also be going out (if no lights at all on it when you press button, drive is dead-if lights, the cage motor is gone)... But with the detecting the HD's, check for capacitor leakage, they should be flat and silver on the top, no orange crust or otherwise fatter then any of the other ones on the board.. Even if no capacitors are bad, try resetting the bios settings to DEFAULT, if still no go, new board may fix the issue.. Let us know how it works out.

1 Message

May 16th, 2011 14:00

Ok now I have a Dell OptiPlex GX260. It works are my work perfectly, stays on for days and runs smoothly. But when I bring it home *POOF* it stops working. Says no hard disc detected. press f1 to continues, f2 for boot options. Its not recodnizing the hard driver, and the hard drives good because its new

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 16th, 2011 22:00

* Turn the PC off
* Unplug the power cord from the back of the PC
* Disconnect the monitor from the video card
* Remove    the case cover
* Disconnect and reconnect all plugs, cables, and memory sticks (The memory sticks should click when fully inserted)
* Close the case cover
* Reconnect the monitor to the video card
* Reconnect the PC power cord
* Power on the monitor and then the PC. Any difference in the issue?

1 Message

February 21st, 2013 17:00

Hi .. I'm having this same problem with my optiplex sx280 ... I just follow up the steps that you said as .. Still says no boot device available and I have other thing that. Says. Pex-E61: media test failure, check the cable !! I will aprecciate your help !!! Thank you !!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 22nd, 2013 10:00

Pxe-E61 is saying it sees no drives whatsoever and is trying to network boot.

There is no fix for physically bad drives.  You replace them with good working drives.

March 24th, 2013 13:00

TENGO UN DELL GX260 NO RECONOCE LA CD ROM INDICA EN EL ARRANQUE  UNKNOWN DEVICE NESECITO LOS DRIVERS?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 25th, 2013 08:00

There are no drivers.  All drives MUST BE SET CABLE SELECT.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix this problem link. Then, click Run now button from the Automated Troubleshooting Services page and follow the steps in this wizard.

Fix this problem
Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services: Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media

1 Message

March 25th, 2013 10:00

How do you remove the case cover? I have a Optiplex GX300 and I need to replace the floppy drive. There are no on-line documents available.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 25th, 2013 12:00

There is no such thing as one size fits all method. Depends on which model you have.

The towers have a lock slider on the back and a button on the front to open the side.

Once the side is off there is a button near the front center that you press to remove the front cover.

Floppy is on a tray that slides out.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-gx100_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

No Events found!