Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2005 20:00

Dell Optiplex GX270 - Bad Capacitors / Bulging Capacitors - Is there a recall coming?

I've been having the "bulging capacitor" problem a lot as of late on several systems here (25% of my GX270 systems so far).

Also, after doing some research...it seems that this is quite a common problem.  However, the GX270's specifically have an issue where the capacitors were overfilled (in addition to the 'other' common problems with bad capacitors).  Some have said that it is their "early ordered" GX270 systems with this problem.. There may be some truth to this, but I don't have enough systems on site to fairly diagnose this as being the case (checking with other offices now, though, I'm sure some of them will know).

The technician who just replaced a few motherboards here due to the [apparently well known] issue of bulging capacitors on the GX270 told me that a lot of companies have demanded their entire fleet of 270's be replaced, and they've done it.  (and not only has Dell done it, Dell has sent contractors out to the site to do the work of the swap outs).  

He told me he has "heard through the grapevine" that Dell will be issuing a recall on the GX270 systems that are affect in the next month or two.  Is there any truth to this?  Is there an "easy" way to figure out which systems specifically are effected?

Thanks,
Dane

• 

16.7K Posts

June 21st, 2005 16:00

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

There is not going to be a  recall on the GX270 motherboards. You can call the number below to have them replace the motherboard if you are having a problem and need replacements.

1-866-571-9142

Message Edited by DELL-Jesse on 06-21-2005 12:49 PM

June 21st, 2005 17:00

dell-jesse, what information is this based off of?    

I just spoke with some others in other offices.....  i now know that Dell only issues proactive field replacements if 10% of systems have already gone bad... when this issue was last examined, we found that the number was around 3% of systems... now that we've asked everyone for their numbers, the number is probably going to be much higher (certain offices were overlooked because they aren't tracked in the same manner that the 3% number came from)... we're putting together our lists now (checking them twice)... pretty sure we'll be way above 10%....  a few questions... is the 10% number needed based off of all gx270 model systems, all 270 systems in a particular location, or all 270 systems off of the same order?  Some things on the net have turned up the fact that this seems to happe on "early ordered" 270 systems...  The pattern of how this has happened on our systems might also indicate this.  If this is the case, we may never hit the 10% mark because the latter half of our systems are OK because they were ordered later (even though we could actually be having a 60% failure rate in some offices).. 

June 21st, 2005 19:00

ok sounds good..

thanks!

• 

16.7K Posts

June 21st, 2005 19:00

Thats the information that I received from a Global Technical Analyst. That is all the information that he had for me. I am trying to get more information on this issue. You may have more current information on what is going on with the gx270's. I work mainly in the consumer area of Dell. I will let you know if I hear any other information.

51 Posts

June 23rd, 2005 18:00

same here. we had about 80 SX270's replaced last year and are now seeing some GX270/GX280 have the same thing. i asked for a fleet replacement on the SX270's and was told no.

June 23rd, 2005 18:00

five0 see this thread:  http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=pes_other&message.id=13069&query.id=8312#M13069

its about the poweredge 400sc, but it has the same motherboard capacitor issue that the 270 is having... 

1 Message

July 6th, 2005 18:00

We are seeing many GX270 mother boards being replaced today.  Anyone else having a current issue with the GX270?

psadave46

2 Posts

July 6th, 2005 18:00

Had 2 sx270 blow capacitors last week. Bought 6 others the same time we bought those 2, they're all leaking/bulging.

1 Message

July 19th, 2005 13:00

We purchased about 200 of these systems about a year ago.  We are now seeing from one to three failures of the motherboards a week (bulging capacitors).  Thank goodness we purchased gold support or we would be ...  I have three on my desk right now.
Any pattern (rev, serial number...) to this or are all bad?
Thanks
Steve

July 25th, 2005 15:00

Hi, we have the same problem.  I own 23 SX270's and in May 2005, Dell Replaced all 6 mother boards becauses of the Heat problems on the mother boards.  The systems would no longer power up.  The mother board had bulging capacitors, that looked like a brown substance was comming out of the capacitors. 

The last week around between the 18-23 of July 05, We had 8 more mother boards go down for the same problem.  I have a call in to dell right now to have all of my remaining mother boards replaced ASAP. 

I would like to know about a recall if anyone knows about it.

Duane

1 Message

November 4th, 2006 15:00

The company I work for has about 300 GX 270s in both their call centers.  I would say that we have replaced more then 200 of these boards to date.  One quick way to identify if your board will have an issue with the capacitors is to look at the stamp on the top of the caps.  If it is an "X" shape, those are usually the bad caps.  If it is a "K" shape, those caps are usually good and you likely wont run into the issue with bad caps. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 4th, 2006 16:00

bigoranget wrote:
The company I work for has about 300 GX 270s in both their call centers.  I would say that we have replaced more then 200 of these boards to date.  One quick way to identify if your board will have an issue with the capacitors is to look at the stamp on the top of the caps.  If it is an "X" shape, those are usually the bad caps.  If it is a "K" shape, those caps are usually good and you likely wont run into the issue with bad caps. 

This is a really old thread. However the counterfeiters have gotten wind of this and started putting "K" shaped cuts in their FAKE capacitors so thats not good advice. Bad parts are bad parts. No vendor is immune, not dell, not apple, not ibm, not intel, etc.

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280
Out of Warranty Support Program

Dell™ will provide out of warranty coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008, whichever comes first.

We request that customers with qualifying systems contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965. Please note, affected parts will not be dispatched through the WPD program and therefore will not be eligible for labor reimbursement.

For Systems Under Warranty

If a desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors, contact Dell Technical Support to have the motherboard replaced as per the existing Warranty Service coverage contract.

For Systems Out of Warranty

If a desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors and is still within the time period described below, contact Dell Technical Support to have the motherboard replaced at no charge per Dell's Next Business Day service coverage program.

The motherboard replacement program is valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008, whichever occurs first. Systems that fall outside the motherboard replacement offer terms may be repaired under Dell's Out of Warranty service program.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

Message Edited by SpeedStep on 11-04-2006 01:59 PM

November 6th, 2006 07:00

IS there any kind of cover like this in Europe? I've had 3 SX270s fail in the last fortnight but they only have about 20 days left on their 3 year warranty!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 8th, 2006 10:00

You will have to ask a Dell Europe support tech. This is a user to user forum not a Yell at Dell forum. Users here do not work for dell. This site is not Dell European support.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

If you are unhappy with the euro service fill out a complaint form.

Message Edited by SpeedStep on 11-08-2006 07:44 AM

1 Message

September 29th, 2007 17:00

SpeedStep Thanks for all your help & I really appreciate your information! I was about to buy new mainboard but after reading your post i am able to get new mainboard,powersupply from Dell.:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Smartysmart on 09-29-2007 01:38 PM

Message Edited by Smartysmart on 09-29-2007 01:38 PM
No Events found!