Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2012 20:00

Dell Optiplex Gx 240 XP SP 3

Hey Guys!! 

New to this forum, hope im in accordance to ettiquete.  As the Subject says i have a older model  Dell Optiplex Gx 240 running windows  XP SP 3. 

I recently had to remove several worms and malware from the HD. from the begginig i could not load my virus scanner from the boot menu. i changed the order of the boot sequence to CD ROM 1st. the keyboard functions during bios but when the virus scan asked for my pressing of a key to boot from CD. i would not resond. i eventried the recovery disc, same isseu would not allow me to boot from the disc due to not being able to engage the keyborad when promptede. the keyboard is great. it works once i get past the welcome screen but would not allow me to load during boot. so i downloaded security essentials from microsoft. was able to remove the viruses that way. But heres( where i am now) I ran msconfig  to set the system to boot into safe mode. and since then i cannot use the mouse or keyboard at the welcome screen. so needless to say everytime i restart the computer i cannot get past this screen.  SOME oNe Please Help!!!

Thanks in advance Guys 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 30th, 2012 11:00

USB Keyboards Tend to not work with GX240's in safe mode.

Try and Get a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse.

953 Posts

July 30th, 2012 10:00

Hi D.Twine903,

Welcome to the Community.

Thank you for the detailed description of the problem. So far we haven't had any problems with our Dell Keyboards working in either Safe Mode or Windows Normally. However, in order to provide you a more specific resolution I would request you to tell me the type of keyboard(i.e., USB/PS2/Wireless) and the Brand of the keyboard that you are using with your machine. I am specific about the Brand because I have had a similar problem with one particular Brand on my personal computer.

3 Posts

August 1st, 2012 18:00

Thanks for all your replies and knowledge guys!! After many hours I discovered that  the USB keyboard and mouse  I was using  drivers weren't being loaded in safemode. So I was able obtain some older components with I believe serial ports? But that worked for me!!! Thanks again guys 

D.Twine

No Events found!