Highlighted
GraemeWilly
1 Copper

Dell Precision 5810 no longer recognizing Dell NVME PCIE card drive

So, initially this Dell came setup with a factory OS on the PCIE based NVME drive.

Recently we re-installed the OS, but the OS setup was not seeing the NVME drive, yet, Bios was reporting it. So we setup the OS on an EVO SSD. We then cloned it over to the NVME after realizing Windows was detecting its presence. Everything worked well, we removed the Samsung Evo and the PC had used the NVME based cloned OS for a few days, but now it decided to lose track of the NVME and only boots into start up repair. Nothing you do does anything; last known good config, restore(none created), chkdsk(doesn't find issues), SFC /Scannow doesn't run(Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation). I then noticed that startup repair fails with a Log file "D:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.

Clearly the OS now thinks the secondary 2TB drive is now C. I can't help but wonder if this was the reason I couldn't natively install the OS onto the NVME in the first place. There must be some startup delay on the NVME where the order gets shuffled around. Yet, the NVME is still the first boot device in Bios. so nothing has changed there. Ran diags and both drives pass. I unplugged the secondary SATA-based 2TB drive and that at least causes the startup repair failure to end with "Log file C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt"

I've had these sort of issues with Precisions in the past.  They aren't as friendly with drive re-arrangements. They easily lose track of the boot sector even when removing a secondary non-OS drive and they will refuse to boot. Could it have to do with the built-in Raid? Which is on by default? SATA mode still seems to be set to the default RAID On, which, as I understand, is ideal for SSD's, as this enabled Intel Rapid Storage. The only thing I can think is cloning the drive back to a standard non-PCIE based SSD and see if that works again.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
elpro999dell
3 Argentium

RE: Dell Precision 5810 no longer recognizing Dell NVME PCIE card drive

If the drive was in RAID then that's probably why it doesn't like it. Probably since the PC does not see it as a logical hard drive but as a RAID drvie.

-elpro999

I do not work for dell. I am also a user.