Highlighted
Toga1
1 Copper

Dell Precision 690 is noisy

Hi, I own a Dell Precisision 690 with one dual core xeon 3ghz, 16 gb ram and three harddisks. It works well but it is too loud to have it near me when I work with it. The speed of the fans is depending on the temperature and most times they run at a low speed. Even then this computer is too noisy. 

Has anyone some good advice to deal with this? 

Tom

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Toga1
1 Copper

Re: Dell Precision 690 is noisy

No answer yet!  I'm shure that I'm not the only one with this issue. Shurely someone has dealt with it. I wouldn't like to change to another computer because this Dell Precision 690 performs well but the 'sound' of the fans or flowing air is not acceptable. So if anyone can help me to get this computer silent  please share your knowledge.

Thank  you

Tom

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I wouldn't mind an answer to this too. There's a lot of noise from the fans and I'm not stressing the machine at all. There must be some replacements that are silent?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://dreamvalley.net

System Specs:

Dell T7500 with Dual, 6-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3.72GHz (Turbo Mode) | Triple-Channel 48GB 1333MHz DDR3 EEC FBDIMM | 3GB nVidia Quadro K4000 | 3 x 600GB 15.7K RPM SAS(6Gb/s) Drives as RAID0 on Dell PERC 6 RAID card for Video | 2TB WD Caviar Green SATA3(6Gb/s) for RAID0 Backup | 2TB WD Caviar Black SATA3(6Gb/s) for Rendering | 750GB WD Caviar Black SATA3(6Gb/s) for OS | ADS PYRO 64-Bit PCI-X IEEE 1394a Card | Fresco Logic PCIe USB3 Card

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Any info out there? How about an app to control the fan speeds?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Specs:

Dell T7500 with Dual, 6-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3.72GHz (Turbo Mode) | Triple-Channel 48GB 1333MHz DDR3 EEC FBDIMM | 3GB nVidia Quadro K4000 | 3 x 600GB 15.7K RPM SAS(6Gb/s) Drives as RAID0 on Dell PERC 6 RAID card for Video | 2TB WD Caviar Green SATA3(6Gb/s) for RAID0 Backup | 2TB WD Caviar Black SATA3(6Gb/s) for Rendering | 750GB WD Caviar Black SATA3(6Gb/s) for OS | ADS PYRO 64-Bit PCI-X IEEE 1394a Card | Fresco Logic PCIe USB3 Card

0 Kudos
mantamorfin
6 Indium

if you ever get a reply or have you sorted this problem out please let me know as im in the same boat

8 Krypton

I got in touch with Dell about it and what they said was that the moment you start to interfere with the fan speeds you're stepping out of how the machine was supposed to run. Maybe I've got used to it now, it seems quieter. I don't know how your machine is configured (mine now has 6 hard drives installed), but I spent some time sorting out the cabling so that all the cables were out of the way of the fans as much as possible. This way air could flow freely. I've installed a couple of WD Black drives - the OS is now on SATA0 port with a 640GB drive. I also have another 1TB WD Black drive. They're very quiet. I've got 4 x 15K SAS drives as  RAID0  on the SAS connectors.

I think airflow is important as it can keep the fans from ramping up. And we know the fans on the 690, at full throttle, can sound like an aircraft engine! I've got a second 2.66GHz Dual-Core 5150 on it's way and it's going to be interesting to see if the speed goes up. Other than that, I think it's ok. I was thinking maybe I could make it almost silent but then I look at the temperatures of the drives, CPU etc. and perhaps it's best to leave things alone.

I hope that helps.

MT

System Specs:

0 Kudos
wil07
6 Indium

samething here, help the noise is so painful?

DELL please help, it seems there is a quality issue here!!!

thanks

w

0 Kudos
Wil_IT
1 Copper

wil07 I'm Wil_IT. Here is a suggestion. I work in an IT Department where we have several Precision 690's. What I found to be the cause of the problem is the video card that is installed. We have Nvidia 4600s in the computers that have the fan problem. Once we replaced the cards the problem went away. We now have Nvidia 4500 and 4300 cards installed.  Check and see what kind of video card is in your Precision. What tipped me off to this is because the computer wasn't running hot. Some CPU fans run based on the load put on the power supply, not the temperature of the chassis. I'm still researching this problem to see if maybe there is a Bios update that will fix this as well. I'll keep you posted. Hope this helps!

Wil_IT
1 Copper

I'm Wil_IT. Here is a suggestion. I work in an IT Department where we have several Precision 690's. What I found to be the cause of the problem is the video card that is installed. We have Nvidia 4600s in the computers that have the fan problem. Once we replaced the cards the problem went away. We now have Nvidia 4500 and 4300 cards installed.  Check and see what kind of video card is in your Precision. What tipped me off to this is because the computer wasn't running hot. Some CPU fans run based on the load put on the power supply, not the temperature of the chassis. I'm still researching this problem to see if maybe there is a Bios update that will fix this as well. I'll keep you posted. Hope this helps!

Wil_IT
1 Copper

I'm Wil_IT. Here is a suggestion. I work in an IT Department where we have several Precision 690's. What I found to be the cause of the problem is the video card that is installed. We have Nvidia 4600s in the computers that have the fan problem. Once we replaced the cards the problem went away. We now have Nvidia 4500 and 4300 cards installed.  Check and see what kind of video card is in your Precision. What tipped me off to this is because the computer wasn't running hot. Some CPU fans run based on the load put on the power supply, not the temperature of the chassis. I'm still researching this problem to see if maybe there is a Bios update that will fix this as well. I'll keep you posted. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos