Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 2nd, 2011 11:00

Dell Precision T1600 unable to POST with two Quadros installed

T1600, stock Quadro 2000 in PCI-e slot 1, tried adding a Quadro FX 380 LP to PCI-e slot 4.  System hangs about 1 second after power-on, diagnostic LEDs show LEDs 1, 3, and 4 illuminated.  No video output from either card.  Either card will work separately in slots 1 and 4.  Unable to find service manual for T1600 online.  Ideas?  Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 4th, 2011 07:00

When the two video cards are installed, you cannot connect any monitors to the motherboard onboard VGA or DP ports. Are you doing this?

2 Posts

July 5th, 2011 10:00

Thanks for the reply Chris.  The T1600 does not have IGP, and hence there are no on-board-connected monitors.  

July 14th, 2011 08:00

hi guys

We have an issue in our environment with the T1600 PCIe x16 slots.  

our understanding is that essentialy these 2 slots should allow us to have 2 VGA cards installed in it. however that fact of the matter is that thus far we have not been able to get both cards working once installed in the machine. same as above, when we install one card, it boots fine no issues at all. the minute we install the second card the machine does not boot past the POST screen.

has anyone been able to get this working?

the cards we used are the following

2x Nvidia QUADRO NVS 420

2x Nvidia QUADRO NVS 290

we have uninstalled and reinstalled and update the revelant drivers with a restart inbewteen each instance.

can anyone help, this is bordering on a production issue in our area?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 14th, 2011 13:00

There probably isnt enough memory map for cards with that much ram.

I have installed multiple geforce 7300 GTX 512 cards without issue but  never more expensive cards.

December 4th, 2012 01:00

I'm trying to use quadro 570FX(38W) together with a Geforce640GT(62W), but as from the other users above i'm unable to boot the system which stops few seconds later the switch-on. Do you think that upgrading the power supply might fix the issue? or is the 75W limit imposed by BIOS?

Thanks in advance, Riccardo

December 4th, 2012 23:00

i've tried also to upgrade the power supply thinking to the 75W limitation, but no luck since the system stops during the POST again with all the four LEDs switched on. I think DELL should provide an official answer since the system specification clearly states that the system support up to two PCI-E discrete graphics cards thus i think that a new BIOS revision should be developed in order to fix the issue!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 5th, 2012 13:00

"quadro 570FX(38W) together with a Geforce640GT(62W)"   You cant do that.  Dual or 3 or Quad Card configuration

REQURES Matched cards.  Not Just the GPU but the Vendor and BIOS version on each card.

There are no vendors that support mixing Different Family GPUs in the same box.

The answer as to when you can do Quadro with Geforce on the same bus is NEVER.

Just as you cannot mix DDR2 and DDR3 Ram in seperate memory slots etc.

Quadro FX 570 256MB 128-bit GDDR2

Geforce 640 GT  512MB 128-bit GDDR3/GDDR5

December 6th, 2012 00:00

Thanks SpeedStep for the clarification, but beside me is sitting a workstation (not a T1600 obviously) currently running flawlessly a Quadro  FX 600 and a GEForce 660Ti thus your statement about no support to mix different family GPUs in the same box is misleading.

Regards, Riccardo.

No Events found!