Highlighted
BuddTX
1 Nickel

Dell Precision T3500 Anyone use 8 gig Memory module?

Hello,

I wanted to upgrade my T3500 So I bought a 24 gig tri-channel memory, but I bought 3 8 gig modules.

After purchasing it, I discovered that the largest size memory module is 4 gig.

So, my question is, will 8 gig memory modules work?  Re-stocking fee is 15 dollars, if I return the memory.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Dell Precision T3500 Anyone use 8 gig Memory module?

NO

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 (ECC)

Maximum Memory: 24GB

Slots: 6         x   4 Gig per slot.

Recommended Upgrade

part image

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
PhotoGeek4096
1 Copper

RE: Dell Precision T3500 Anyone use 8 gig Memory module?

An answer 5 years late probably isn't much help, but I am currently running my (old) T3500 (E5520 processor) using 2 8-Gig memory modules (slots 1 & 2).  O/S is Ubuntu Linux 16.04.3 and the O/S reports 16-Gig of memory available.  So, (if anybody's out there), I curious if anyone else has done this and/or is Ubuntu "lying" to me about the available memory (i.e., really only using the first 4-Gig of each module)??  An answer less than 5 years from now gets extra points  ;o)

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

RE: Dell Precision T3500 Anyone use 8 gig Memory module?

2 working doesn't mean that 6 work.  Its about memory hub being able to drive ram.  When its Registered and Buffered you can support larger modules.  If you overload the memory bus you fry the cpu.

Fully buffered is not the same as non buffered non registered ram.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro