Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2017 13:00

Dell Precision T5400 overheating memory, chipset

Now, I know this is an old system, but that is the reason I got it. Cheap and accessible, functional. I have two Xeons 5460 that used to get crazy hot the first time I applied thermal paste thermals subsided since then, even at load hanging around 50-60 degrees on one, and 60-70 on other ( I don't have a real heatsink for this one; got a small copper one that is half the height of the proprietary )

Ram is pretty chill as well, around 65 degrees under load.

Here is my problem, though; I ordered 16 gigabytes of ram and filled all 8 slots with 2 gigs sticks. Under load the temps ranged from 65 on the right most module, to up to 90 ( !! ) on the left most. The problem was the chipset was burning to touch! And distance from the chipset heatsink to the first two modules is the width of an index finger. Now I don't know why does chipset get burning hot, and that is what I'd like to know. Is there something in bios i can shutdown to reduce load on the chipset?

I took out half of the ram sticks so I'm still in quad channel configuration, but using 8 gigs, and temps dropped drastically. I'm talking 61 degrees on the first ram module from 90. Is my motherboard fautly, something causing 8 stick configuration to increase memory temps? Chipset heatsink is still pretty hot, and it shows, with first module being 5-6 degrees hotter than the last on ( that is still a lot better then before). Was my overheating problem caused by too many ram modules or the configuration messing with the chipset? Would getting a taller chipset heatsink radiate heat better and therefore radiate evenly hence not heating up the memory modules as much? Are there proprietary or aftermarket ram heatspreaders/heatsinks that aren't just a metal plate attached to the buffer chip?

Unrelated question; how are Xeon 5460 IHS attached to the die? Is delliding possible? If not, never mind.

No Responses!
No Events found!