Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2016 02:00

Dell Precision T5810 - fan control?

Precision Tower 5810 - Bios Rev A12

the system has BIOS A12 installed.
in BIOS setup i have set the fan control to "auto" and moved the slider to the very left.
see attached screenshot.

still, the fans are running quite noisy.
it seems they are running at too high RPM.

with the usual tools i wasn't able to read any fan sensors from the system. neither the system fan nor the heatsink fan. this is because of the embedded controller (Dell EC). so i could only judge "by ear".

for testing purposes i have also moved the slider to the very right. the system then blows like a jumbo jet lifting off. so the fan control does seem to be functional.
it's just that the "minimum" RPM still seems to be too high.

meanwhile i found hwinfo64 to be able to read the sensors from the embedded controller.
but i can't find anything suspicious. see attached screenshot.

any suggestions how to lower the idle RPM?

1 Attachment

3 Posts

October 18th, 2017 06:00

problem solved: it was the fan(s) inside the PSU causing the noise.

a technician from dell came on site and replaced the PSU.
now my system is back to quiet.

it seems the PSU runs independently from the automatic fan control in BIOS settings.
and also it seems that none of the system monitoring sensors can read the RPM and temperature from the PSU. so the PSU is a completely independent unit on its own?

14 Posts

May 27th, 2017 15:00

Hi ahrand,

This is an old post, but wondered if you ever found the solution. I have sort of the opposite problem, but think it could be related. My issue is the fan never speeds up and the system overheats.

However, using the speed control slider you pointed out, I can set it to +50 and the fan runs half speed and keeps the system cool enough. Set it to +100 and it sounds like a jet.

So I think in both cases there is a problem with the automated fan control system.

I just got off a chat with Dell and they want to replace the fan and heatsink? I'm skeptical, but don't have any other ideas - other than motherboard. I did update the BIOS to the latest version - now A19.

What did you finally do to fix your issue?

Interesting that Dell didn't even know about this particular fan control in BIOS.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2017 05:00

i never got it solved.

by now i'm on bios revision A19. but the fans are still running at too loud.

my system is still under warranty. so probably i'll go ahead and contact dell support.

1 Attachment

No Events found!