Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2017 10:00

Dell Precision T7600 upgraded with Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Magician can't see drive

Hi all,

I have a lovely Dell Precision T7600 that is still quite the beast. It's got a Samsung EVO 850 as the main OS drive. It boots up fine as I currently have cleared my RAID configuration and I will perhaps redo that at some point (it's not critical). Anyway, I want to run Samsung's Magician software but it can't see the drive...

Anyone else have this experience or these difficulties?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2017 14:00

I have a PC with a Samsung EVO 850 (1 TB) and a Samsung EVO 840 (500 GB) and the Magician finds them without problems.  Actually, the Magician finds all the drives, SSD and conventional hard drive.

However, other than to check the "health" of the drives and firmware version, I don't find anything else useful.  There was a discussion about the Magician on the tenforums.com and that was the general consensus there.

However, the drive should be detected.  Are you using the latest Magician Version?  5.0.0

Two suggestions, run as "Administrator" (even if you are the Administrator) and if that doesn't work, uninstall the Magician program, RESTART THE PC, then reinstall it.

307 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 06:00

Samsung Magician will not work unless your SATA operation mode is set the AHCI (vs RAID) in the BIOS. You may also have to change your drive from RAID to AHCI if Windows was installed in RAID mode.

December 28th, 2017 07:00

Ah yes, I see in the BIOS that AHCI is set, but there is a note saying that it does not affect drives on the PERC H310 controller. Within the controller firmware, which is accessed at boot time by pressing Ctrl+R at the right screen, my drives are set to Non-RAID and the RAID configuration is cleared. There doesn't appear to be an outright AHCI setting in the RAID firmware, but it would be helpful if anyone was more familiar with the firmware than myself. :)

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 29th, 2017 11:00

The PERC is AHCI always.  There is a specific F6 driver for the perc.  Drives however must be Raid 0 for a single drive and the the "CONTAINER:" must be INITIALIZED by the CTRL N  bios menu BEFORE you can install ANY OS. For each newly created virtual disc, press F2, select Fast Initialization, and then press Enter.  Windows WILL NOT SEE ANY DRIVES IF THEY ARE NOT INITIALIZED AND THE F6 DRIVER IS NOT LOADED.  This is not a Ronco set and forget water chicken install.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN132460/how-to-set-up-dell-poweredge-raid-controller-h310-cards-on-a-precision-workstation

The driver must BE extracted you cannot point to the exe file this is a PRE INSTALL F6 driver.

File Format:Hard-Drive
File Name:DRVR_SAS_Dell_PERC8_Win7_X64_A01_setup-0TM0H_ZPE.exe
Download Type:HTTP
File Size: 153 KB
Format Description:This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then run (double-click) it to unzip the set of files. Follow the instructions to complete the installation.

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01382792M/2/DRVR_SAS_Dell_PERC8_Win7_X64_A01_setup-0TM0H_ZPE.exe

Install
1. Double-click the downloaded executable file xxxxx.exe. (Where xxxxx is the file name of the file).
2. The Self-Extractor window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\xxxxx. If you did not print these instructions, write down this path.
3. The WinZip Self-Extractor window appears
4. Click OK.
5. If the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it.
6. Copy all the files in C:\DELL\DRIVERS\xxxxx to floppy (XP) or USB flash (Vista and above)
7. During Win OS installation, follow OS instruction to load driver.

No Events found!