Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell Precision Workstation 690 with Win7-64 Ultimate. -- 3Tb hard drive ???

Jump to solution

I have a  Dell Precision Workstation 690 with Win7-64 Ultimate installed.  I want to use a 3Tb drive.  How can I find out if the SATA controller  is compatible with a 3Tb drive.????

How to  find out what motherboard or add-on board SATA controller I have?  When the computer first boots up the BIOS finds SAS  5 Host Bus HBAO (???)  I forget the exact name drives then it finds the SATA drives.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

RE: Dell Precision Workstation 690 with Win7-64 Ultimate. -- 3Tb hard drive ???

Jump to solution

Greetings Tenoc,

Thanks for posting your question on the Community.

The onboard SAS controller that comes with the Precision 690 is called: LSI 1068 PCI-X - 3 Gb/s SAS Controller. It's pretty old at this point and I'm pretty sure it only supports MBR ( 2TB MAX limit ).

You might try adding in a newer card, like the Perc H710. Not sure if it will work or not. There are various other cards out there that you could possibly try.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

RE: Dell Precision Workstation 690 with Win7-64 Ultimate. -- 3Tb hard drive ???

Jump to solution

Greetings Tenoc,

Thanks for posting your question on the Community.

The onboard SAS controller that comes with the Precision 690 is called: LSI 1068 PCI-X - 3 Gb/s SAS Controller. It's pretty old at this point and I'm pretty sure it only supports MBR ( 2TB MAX limit ).

You might try adding in a newer card, like the Perc H710. Not sure if it will work or not. There are various other cards out there that you could possibly try.

Justin C Dell Technical Support | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

View solution in original post

0 Kudos