Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2012 02:00

Dell Precision t7400 Bios Freeze/Hang

Hello, thanks for reading my post. I have searched on the internet and i have searched in the forums, but i cannot find an answer.

I just hope the issue can be resolved. I have a dell precision t7400, it came with Bios rev. A09. The system initially was not showing the complete RAM installed. It has 16gb but only showed 8gb. Online i read that re-seating the ram and also clearing the bios (reset cmos via jumper). Will resolve the issue. I did so and everything was fine. The computer worked for a few days with out any issues. Then i started getting parity error, system halted message on a blue screen (but did not look like the normal windows BSOD).

It happened for a few days- not more than twice a day. I knew it was odd and there might be some ram issues some where.

But one morning i turned the computer on and it did not completely post. When i pressed the power button it first showed the Graphics card information

RV530GL BIOS 128MB GDDR3 508e/500n

After that it shows the Bios Splash Screen, it starts to load and the progress bar runs for only about 10%. The it stops.It won't complete POST process.

Nothing happens after that. The keyboard does not light up and it does not respond. The mouse lights up. The enter setup and boot options in the corner do not show.

The Front Panel Diagnostic lights show 3 and 4 position illuminated, the light is constant/Solid  (not blinking). The system does not beep, the fans are all spinning.

I have removed all Hard drives, all memory, vga card etc. But still no luck.  Please look at attached images.

Could someone please help me.

The system configuration is as follows

Dell precision t7400

2 x Intel quad core e5462 (1600 FSB)

16gd pc2-6400f ddr2 (800mhz)

4 x 160gb SATA WD1600HLFS

1 x DVD RW

Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 14th, 2012 06:00

Hi Tonetime,

Here are the diagnostic lights <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for your system. Of course, nothing corresponds to lights 3 and 4. Have you tried one or two memory modules at a time?

4 Posts

May 15th, 2012 01:00

Hi Osprey, thanks for your reply, i tried installing the memory 2 at a time. In fact i have removed all drives, memory,  Graphics card, keyboard, mouse- but still the same result. When ram is not installed, the lights will first illuminate at the  3 and 4 position - then there will be a long beep -

then the light at the 1 position will illuminate (the 3 and 4 DE-illuminate at this point) there is another beep and them the system shuts off. I re-read my post and realized that i did not mention that i bought the system as a refurbished unit from a reputable company. They are dell partners etc. The system came with the A09 BIOS already installed. I assumed it was that update that cause the bios to show half the amounts installed in the first place.

but in any case- i am stuck..please help. I hope its not a corrupt bios- i don't want to Change the board- i would rather replace the bios chip- as it would be faster than ordering a new board- i live in Ghana (west Africa).

With that said i would rather replace the board than to replace the whole system Unit-  i live in Ghana (west Africa).

Thanks everybody.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 15th, 2012 18:00

Can you get into the BIOS (F2) during boot?

4 Posts

May 16th, 2012 01:00

Unfortunately no. the keyboard does not work at all...no lights, no response. The f2 and f12 options do not even show up. I have been inquiring elsewhere and i am told that it is a memory issue. There are bad ram sticks in the bunch.

But i have tried random ram sticks- and still no cheddar.

Thanks for your interest and efforts, we will continue to diagnose the issue and hopefully get a solution

best regards

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 16th, 2012 05:00

Try this procedure for resetting the CMOS.

4 Posts

May 21st, 2012 08:00

Hello Osprey, thanks for all your efforts. I have contacted the company i purchased the unit from, they are going to RMA the unit after many suggestions and attempt.They will RMA and send me what i need to get up and running as soon as possible, they have been awesome and really helpful.

Hopefully i won't have any more issues, but i still am baffled  that none of the attempts were fruitful.

In any case, thanks again- take care of yourself.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 21st, 2012 17:00

That's good to hear. Good luck!

No Events found!