Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2017 03:00

Dell S2718H/HX Infinity Monitor Becomes Scrambled

I am running a quite new (4 months old) Dell S2718H/HX infinity screen monitor, with a PC using the latest version of Windows 10 (Creators Edition).

The PC (Acer Aspire, with Intel HD graphic card and i5 processor) is also quite new, about 1 year old.

Since the W10 update the monitor becomes scrambled and fuzzy intermittently - just thin pink and blue lines and no image - usually when the computer is left idle. Sometimes it can run for days without it happening and sometimes it can take 2 hours.

I have updated the drivers for the card and for the monitor, but this seems to have made no difference. The monitor is connected to the computer with an HDMI cable. If I take it out and put it back in, nothing changes.

But, if I turn the monitor off and back on, the screen goes back to normal.

I would be grateful for any help you can offer.

Stephen

December 23rd, 2017 10:00

Thanks for the reply Fireberd. When I checked the Graphics card driver it tells me it;s up to date. The Intel driver assistant also says that all drivers are up to date. Windows update says that the OS is up to date.

I went to the Acer support page and it lists 13 drivers for my machine, including 3 VGA drivers. It does not say if any of them need updating. Can you suggest whether I sould install the VGA drivers?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2017 10:00

Not to throw the blame game, but I would suspect something in the PC rather than the monitor as it worked good until a Windows 10 software upgrade.  Recycling the power on the monitor causes the PC to regenerate the HDMI signal and thus most likely why it seems to fix it.  

First suggestion is to go to Intel and run their updater and update the CPU Video drivers.  

I'm using the Intel CPU graphics now on my current desktop but I was concerned as I've had a problem in the past (motherboard problem) with the CPU graphics and had to use a separate video card.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 24th, 2017 03:00

If you have the Intel HD Graphics as originally noted, you don't want or need any of the VGA drivers.  VGA is a different connection type.  

The fall creators upgrade has caused varied problems with many.  I also do support on the win10 forum  www.tenforums.com  and although not your specific problem I do see lots of other problems.

Here is the Dell driver for that monitor.  Reinstall it and see how things work out.  The original driver installation could have been corrupted by the upgrade.

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

December 24th, 2017 03:00

Thanks very much again! Should I just download and install it or do I need to unistall the previous version. If so, could you walk me through it.

Merry Christmas!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 24th, 2017 05:00

I'm not sure what will happen if you uninstall the existing driver and then restart the PC before installing.  Normally, Windows will just install its own generic driver but no guarantees.   But, I wouldn't be afraid to try it.  If you don't want to, Just download and install it.  If you get a message asking if you want to install over existing (or some similar message) just click yes and continue with the install.

December 24th, 2017 06:00

Much appreciated. I've downloaded and installed the driver. I go no messages of any kind, so i assume it's installed OK. I've also sent for a top of the line HDMI cable just in case that's the issue.

December 24th, 2017 09:00

It wasn't expensive ($7 plus shipping), so I thought it best to get it. Of course, as you say, if the problem is not my cable, then I wasted my money.

Since the driver install, the screen has stayed on for 4 hours and counting. Hopefully I won't be back in an hour, to say "I spoke too soon!"

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 24th, 2017 09:00

A "high grade" HDMI cable shouldn't make any difference (assuming the cable you have is OK).   Its a digital signal.  Same way "high grade" (priced) USB cables make no difference.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 24th, 2017 11:00

Sounds promising. I hope this did fix it.

No Events found!