Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2011 18:00

Dell SP2309W will not display when connected via DVI cable

I have a Dell 5150 with a 3.0 GHz P4 Processor with the following set-up:

Dell SP2309W Monitor (DVI-D (Single Link)) native resolution 2048x1152

Dell supplied Single Link DVI Cable

nVidia GeForce 7650 GS 256MB DDR2 PCIe x 16 Video Card (2 x DVI-D (dual Link) with latest driver 260.99

Windows XP Home (32 bit)

I recently purchased the video card and a second identical monitor to use in a dual monitor setup. The system recognizes the card on boot up. I cancel the "new hardware found" window and proceed with the installation of the nVidia drivers using the generic windows video driver for the display (so the card works). On reboot, after driver installation, the monitor immediately goes into "powersave" mode (no windows splash screen is displayed) and the display remains in powersave mode and won't "wake up". If I power down, it freezes again on reboot and goes to power save mode preventing access to even the system BIOS. If I remove the card and use the onboard VGA, all is fine. To me it sounds like a driver or issue with the native resolution, but I can't rule out the DVI port on the monitors. This should work, But I've had no success so far. I would appreciate any insight or troubleshooting advice.

Thanks,

ks

268 Posts

January 18th, 2011 09:00

KSOHNER,

Sounds like you inadvertently set your monitor to only accept the VGA as the input.

Bring up the On-Screen Display by pushing the button on the monitor with the checkmark on it. Choose the Input and choose either Auto Select or DVI.

BTW, monitors with this feature can be shared with another machine (such as a laptop) by selecting the input. Cheaper and less clutter than a switch.

Masi_GC

2 Posts

January 18th, 2011 20:00

Masi_GC,

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the input selection and tried it set to DVI and Auto Select. with the same result. It displays using the windows driver, but not at the native resolution. After the nvidia driver intallation, I get the Windows XP boot screen and the the display goes black and  enters powersave mode and won't "wake up". I have to power down and on reboot, no Windows XP boot screen, just immediately to powersave mode (not even the opportunity to enter the bios setup). I have to power down and remove the card, and then it will boot normally using the oboard VGA adapter.

No Events found!