8 Krypton

Re: Dell Studio 540 seems to have "died"

Muire,

If you computer is still under warranty, contact Dell for support and if it is just the PSU they will send one out and schedule a tech to install it.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz – Western Digital 500GB SATA 3 SSD – Western Digital 1TB SATA 3 HDD – ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550W PSU - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Dell E2211H Flat Panel Monitor
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Bulkhedd,

Sounds like a bad PSU to me.  Sorry but Dell isn't going to send you a new one for free.  You can purchase any ATX PSU from an online or local store.  HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> is the instructions for installing one.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz – Western Digital 500GB SATA 3 SSD – Western Digital 1TB SATA 3 HDD – ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550W PSU - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Dell E2211H Flat Panel Monitor
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Amanda,

Since your computer is still under warranty I would press Dell for a more permanent solution.  You paid for this system and it came with a warranty.  Hold them to it.

0 Kudos

It was fixed by a technician after two separate tries. It works now, three motherboards and two powersupplies later. The fault was in the motherboard.

So far, so good.

0 Kudos
tt_24018
1 Copper

I had this problem.  The Studio 540 that I was working on would not POST.   Amber power light.   Fans worked, but no video on either the built in video or the video card.

I removed the cmos battery, reseated it, and the system booted right up. 

0 Kudos
xpari
6 Indium

Muire,

I was wondering if were able to find a solution to your problem with Studio 540.  I'll appreciate if you could share it with me.

Thanks

Xpari

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

If it is under warranty send it back ... the problems with dell computers is that they never make good new products they use old parts to build new machines..  Anyways i hope you are able to get a full refund.. I only had mine for 6 months .. I took them to the better business as well and consumer affairs you may have to do that as well ... Good Luck!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

If it is under warranty send it back ... the problems with dell computers is that they never make good new products they use old parts to build new machines..  Anyways i hope you are able to get a full refund.. I only had mine for 6 months .. I took them to the better business as well and consumer affairs you may have to do that as well ... Good Luck!

xpari
6 Indium

3 months out of warranty (total of 1 yr 3 mo)

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Well then I don't think there is much you can do it was the heat sink that was causing the issues and all you can do is replace that.. before it causes more issues my motherboard also went so and that was all in a 6 month period surprised your lasted as long as it did