Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2012 19:00

Dell Studio 540

My Dell Studio 540 had been working great until recently when it won't boot up anymore. Instead of the usual white light of the pwoer indicator, all I see is a solid amber light. Could someone please help me slove this problem?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 11th, 2012 20:00

Ray.wjl

Assuming that you have the Studio 540 Mini Tower and not the Slimline version.

A solid amber power button LED indicates the computer has a power problem or an internal device malfunction.

The Studio 540 Troubleshooter is HERE 

Are there any 'Beep's?

Does the power supply fan run?

Try Removing the power cord, disconnect all the peripherals, except for the monitor, mouse and keyboard. Hold the power button in, for one+ minute to release any residue power from the motherboard. Reconnect the power cord and power the 540 on and see if this makes a difference

Bev.

May 3rd, 2012 06:00

I have a Dell studio 540 and have had a similar problem. If there is enough power going to the computer to begin boot up on mine I would press F12 or F8 for boot options, from there you could boot from any available drive that is possible. If it is not possible to access any of the computers hardware resources. and it is possible to insert the operating systems instillation disk you might be able to run repairs. In my case it required restarting it and disconnecting the power a couple of times before finally booting, normally. If all else fails, you may need to have the power supply tested for continuity, insuring that proper current is being distributed to all of your hardware, an overload in power can damage the hardware, as well if possible you may be able to connect the drive to another computer and run diagnostics. As mentioned by the previous respondent I would have to agree that it might be the power supply.

May 3rd, 2012 06:00

I hope this helps some.

No Events found!