Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2013 18:00

Dell Studio XPS 1645 factory reset option

Hello.

Due to virus problems I am in need of factory resetting my Dell studio XPS 1645. I used my little setup guide to follow the steps. 

However, when I get to the options after user name, there is no option called "Dell factory image restore" or "Dell factory tools." 

In this situation, how do i factory restore my computer?

In detail:

my computer came with core i7 with windows7.

a disc came with the laptop however its only a software called Drivers and utilities with contents of device drivers and diagnostics and utilities. 

Thank you and I hope to from someone very soon.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 26th, 2013 19:00

Reboot and press F8 before Windows starts to load. Look in Advanced Options for the option to restore the factory image. Be sure to back up all your personal files on external media first because everything will be lost when you restore the factory image. And you'll need the product keys for all software that you installed (eg, Microsoft Office) so you can reinstall them. So make sure you know all the project keys before restoring the factory image. Once the factory image is installed, get your firewall and antimalware software running and then go directly to the Microsoft Update site and download/install all the updates.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2013 16:00

I tried these steps but there is no restore factory image option for me on the advanced options. The setup told me to either dell factory image restore or dell datasafe restore...however, both options are not available on my advanced options. 

I pressed F8 when dell logo came out. I did press repair my computer then keyboard setting as US, then entered my log in with admin setting. In my system recovery options there is no dell factory image restore.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 28th, 2013 15:00

If you boot from your Dell Windows Reinstallation disk, can you get to a repair option from there?

You might consider going to spywarehammer.com and request (free!) help removing malware. Many of the experts over there are also members of this forum, and they do an excellent job removing malware. Use the same user name there that you used here, and mention that you were referred from the Dell forum for malware removal. Be sure to read / follow all their instructions before you make your first post and someone will help you.

If those options don't work, then you may have no choice but to do a clean install of Windows. Keep in mind that everything on the hard drive will be lost so I hope your files are backed up on external media. If you don't have a Dell Windows Reinstallation disk and if you're in the USA, go hear to request it.

Good luck!

No Events found!