Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 10-27-2011 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell Studio XPS 8000 - 4GB Installed BIOS shows 2GB - 64 Bit Windows 7

I'm having this problem with my XPS where Windows 7 System information reports 4.00 GB installed but 1.99 GB usable.  However, when I check in my BIOS system information it reports that I only have 2048MB/2GB installed and available.  I am running on 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium. 

Since Windows 7 reports 4GB installed, does that mean I'm capable of using all 4GB even though the BIOS only shows 2GB installed and Windows 7 says only 1.99GB is usable or not?

Does anyone else have this problem?  Has anyone had and resolved this problem?

Thanks to whoever can help me with this.

Replies (78)
Community Manager

All,

For my notes, send me your service tag number in a private conversation (Click my name, click Send a Message).

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I received my studio xps 8000 last week, and ALL of my memory is available. Most likely it was a glitch of the MotherBoards. Hence, the long delays to ship them.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Okay - back to the Forum.

This morning, I just had the motherboard replaced by Dell - the issue still persists.  I am getting new ram and a new Intel core i7 processor replacement by Dell sent out.  Hopefully that will fix the issues.

Thanks Chris @ Dell for getting the ball rolling on this one - You are awsome.  My phone call did nothing to remedy the issue, but my posting to this forum did.

:)

JuJuBee

BTW:  Apparently it matters how you install the DDR3 (even while the system is unplugged).  Installation pattern as given by Dell was:

First populate Bank 2, then 1

Second, Populate Bank 4, then 3

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

My XPS 8000 was returned Monday. The RAM issue has been resolved - I assume, they have replaced the MB...

-Jan-

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Had the same issues...and my motherboard was replaced today and problem solved.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Okay - Here is the final UPDATE (I Hope):

I upgraded my wifes XPS 9000 - to Windows 7 - all went well for the RAM.

Dell replaced my motherboard from my XPS 9000 - this did not solve the issue.  After that, Dell sent out a processor (?) and DDR3 RAM.  After the processor and RAM were replaced.  I was up and running with 8GB of DDR3.

At this present time - everything checks out and looks good - Case Closed.

JuJuBee - (Mike)

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Having the same problem here.  Just got (2 hours ago) an XPS 8k, mfg date is 20091104

When looking at system.

Installed memory (ram):  3.00GB, (.99GB usable)

When viewing the resource monitor

Available  347 MB

Cached  345 MB

Total  1015

Installed 3072 MB

It's late and after hearing the tech support nightmare some people have been going through, I'm not in the mood to call India.  Sent an email to Chris M on here, we'll see what happens.

Community Manager

Lee_Family,

So the Bios and the Resouce Monitor show 3GB of ram which is what we installed. This is different from the others in that their bios was only showing 1/2 the ram installed.

All,

In your Windows 7 Resource Monitor, what is the difference in the Installed versus Total?

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

To answer your question Chris, my Resource Monitor shows 8183mb total and 8192mb installed, the difference being 9mb reserved for hardware. I was one of the early members who successfully had my motherboard swapped out. Before that, my resource monitor showed about half the 8gb being reserved for hardware (and, of course, the BIOS only showed 4gb installed). Keith

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Just received my XPS 8000 on friday, first thing I did was check the memory, 4gb it came with, 2gb shown in the bios, tried different memory & different speed memory (1067  & 1333MHz) and didnt make a difference, reseated in ways that have been mentioned, I couldnt re-load the bios as the one on the web was a different date than mine, still A01 though. Vista shows 4gb installed, Win 7 shows 4gb installed (1.99GB Usable)

Called dell, they were very good and send an engineer out today, motherboard has been replaced BIOS now shows 4gb mem installed instead of 2gb. Will check when I get home if this is good in Windows, but I feel confident that it will be.

Cheers.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor