Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2011 02:00

Dell Studio XPS 8100 video graphics card question

I'm planning to upgrade my Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop computer with a new graphics card so that I can play new games such as Skyrim and Star Wars the old republic.

Can anyone tell me which of these cards is best for this purpose, fits my computer and if any further modifications are necessary (ideally none)?

EVGA GTX 550 VGA (PCI-Express, GDDR5, 2GB)
Sapphire 6750 (PCI Express , DDR3 , 2 GB)
Sapphire 6790 (PCI-Express, GDDR5, 1GB)
Palit GTX 550 Ti (PCI Express , GDDR5 , 1 GB)

Thanks in advance,

Sikkaech

1.5K Posts

November 9th, 2011 07:00

Based on the recommended card for Skyrim, you would have to go with the HD 6790 or GTX 550 Ti.  However, your biggest issue is your power supply which is only 350 watts.  For all of these cards, a higher power supply is recommended by the manufacturers.  The HD 6790 is the best on the list with the GTX 550 Ti coming in 2nd.  I would take the other two off your list since they would fall in under the recommended card, but they would still play the games.   I would recommend if upgrading the power supply to go with a 500 watt minimum name brand unit with the necessary connections.    

Skyrim recommended card:  NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).  These are older video cards so the ones I showed would be comparable.

If you choose not to change your power supply, then a GTS 450 or HD 6750 may work.  I would not see much point in getting a 2GB card at this level.  GDDR5 memory is going to be better than GDDR3.  

3 Posts

November 9th, 2011 07:00

Great thanks

4 Posts

January 12th, 2012 09:00

Hi, I came here with the same question, but not for Skyrim, just for SWTOR.  I have the same xps.  Did you end up doing both the card and power supply?  If so, how did it go?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

3 Posts

January 13th, 2012 01:00

Yes, I had to change both the graphic card and the power supply. I think the new graphic card is nvidia gtx 550 or 560. Can't remember for sure cause I'm at work :) Very satisfied however. Both skyrim and swtor run smoothly.

Didn't encounter any problems while installing the hardware. All in all it was easy. If you install the hardware yourself make sure to keep notes on the cables connecting from and to the power supply. But even if you mess up there's no danger. The machine simply wont start.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2012 11:00

Thanks. I had read that replacing the power supply could be an issue in Dells.  Do you remember what kind of power supply you got?  

1.5K Posts

January 13th, 2012 15:00

Replacing the power supply is only an issue with some Dells, but not the XPS 8100.  Any standard ATX type power supply will do as long as it is of good quality and name brand.  Don't buy a cheap one and make sure it has all the connections that you need.  

4 Posts

January 18th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for all the help with this.  If anyone else is looking to upgrade an xps 8100, I ended up replacing the PSU with a Corsair TX650 and I put in a Radeon HD 6870 (XFX).   It was not that difficult and runs great!  I am mainly playing SWTOR right now and no problems.  Now I realize my monitor could be better too.  That will be my next upgrade.  

1 Message

February 9th, 2012 14:00

hey i was wondering if you would know if the dell xps 8100 has a pci express x16 or pci express 2.0 x16? I bought one and i'm not sure the paper work i've found from the internet is stating it is only a pci express x16. how would you check to see what kind of pci slots you have? thanks for any help ya'll can give me!!

1.5K Posts

February 9th, 2012 18:00

The XPS 8100 has a PCIe x16 2.0 slot.  

June 1st, 2012 09:00

Hi xpsguyinor!

I have a quick question for you.  Thanks for the info btw!  I just ordered these upgrades from newegg.  I accidentally ordered the TX750 instead of the TX650 and it looks like I might have to take out the top USB and audio connectors to get this into the case.

The NewEgg website shows the dimensions to be the same for both PSU, so I just wanted to ask if you had any issues fitting the Corsair TX650 into the minitower?   Did you have to remove anything major?

Thanks!

4 Posts

June 1st, 2012 10:00

Harry, I didn't have any trouble getting it to fit into the minitower.  I think I did take out an extra empty slot from the back panel because it occupies 2, so if you have something there you may have to move it.  Good luck!

1 Message

November 28th, 2012 11:00

hi , i have the same xps  and i was wondering , i bought a new graphics card that is : 

Palit 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 610 Graphics Card  i want to know , will i have to do anything to my power to get it to work ? or will i just plug it straight in

thanks

james 

December 30th, 2012 12:00

Hey how is everything running still? I upgraded my graphic card to gtx 550ti, PSU to a 650 watt, new cooler master mid tower and 2x 4GB corsair vengence ram. the transition from the 8100 tower to the new mid tower was easy and it has plenty of room for the PSU install. the upraded fans and more breath room is a must. just ordered a new cooler master heat sink for the i5 processor. Basacly turned my work computer into a decent gaming comp. the windows experiance rating is 7.3 or 7.5 on everything but the hard drive.

January 18th, 2013 22:00

I recommend getting a new mid tower and transferring everything over. More room to work with and way better for cooling. I did it and everything went smoothly. It might void any warranties you have but if they are expired go for it! You can also get a good i5 coolermaster heat sink that would fit inside also. While your at it upgrade your ram too.

January 18th, 2013 22:00

Just wanted to ask from everyone who upgraded, did you face any heating issue later on? I too have an xps 8100 and my GT220 GPU just went 'kaput'! so now planning to get a Palit GTX 650 2GB GPU with probably Coolermaster 650W PSU. from what i have researched, using a higher wattage PSU might give heating issues.

Any issues fitting in the GPU? i have the creative x-fi audio card just below the GPU using one of the PCI slot. so wondering if modern cards will fit in.

thanks,

Moonis

No Events found!