Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2016 17:00

Dell Studio XPS 9100: Case fan specs? CPU cooler upgrade options?

I would like to upgrade the case fans in my XPS 9100, but I've seen a lot of conflicting info in the actual specs concerning the size: are these 92 mm or 120 mm?

Also, this is an i7 960: Is there a compatible upgrade for the CPU cooler? I don;t want or need liquid cooing: would like to cool this down a bit. Core temps are consistently around 52C.

590 Posts

March 1st, 2016 15:00

I believe casings on all the LGA 1366 socket CPUs are the same.  On the 9000, I've used the DBX-B cooler on 4 different LGA 1366 socket CPUs.  Any LGA 1366 socket cooler should work, regardless of CPU.

The DBX-B can be installed to direct air in 1 of 4 directions, depending on how it's mounted.  I have mine pointing up, towards the PSU.  (Note fan blows air in direction of the aluminum fins.)  Idea being to keep heat away from other motherboard components and direct it towards the two fans at the rear (one being in the PSU), which are exhaust ports.

675 Posts

February 29th, 2016 09:00

I determined that the rear fan is 92 mm and can be upgraded (I did so). I determined that the front fan is 120 mm, but cannot be upgraded: The OEM bracket prevents this: There is no way of getting the stock fan out of the frame and the space is too large for a 120 mm fan without the frame.

I'm still trying to determine if there are any CPU cooler upgrade options.

590 Posts

March 1st, 2016 07:00

I have a Studio XPS 9000/435T, the 9100's predecessor, which has a similar (and maybe the same) case.

On the 9000, the front fan bracket has two tabs, which unlock it from the metal case.  Once unlocked, it can be slid towards the back and out.  There seems to be tabs on the bracket to take fan out of it.  Not sure that helps - I haven't actually tried to replace mine.

I'm using the Intel cooler that came with the retail i7-980 upgrade I did.  Cooler model number is Intel DBX-B.  Used Gelid GC-3 Extreme compound.  Idle temps around 30C, load around 70C (this is with all 6 cores doing Prime95 and Nvidia 970 GPU running Unigine Valley at 1080 resolution with Ultra settings at the same time).  Note I had to take out the OEM back bracket for the CPU which is behind the motherboard - required removing the motherboard to get to it.

BTW, it's likely the 9100 will take Xeon processors like the 9000 can.  These are relatively inexpensive on ebay compared to similar i7's.  $30 to 215, depending on number of cores (up to 6) and speed (up to 3.46 GHz).  See here for more info.

675 Posts

March 1st, 2016 10:00

Thanks, techgee--this is all very useful info.

>>There seems to be tabs on the bracket to take fan out of it.  Not sure that helps - I haven't actually tried to replace mine.

I removed the frame and it didn't look like the 120 mm fan could be removed. Instead of screws, there are molded plastic "nubs" that fit into the fan's screw holes. It really looks like Dell intends you to replace the whole frame/fan assembly in one piece.

I'll probably stick with this CPU for now, but I'll look into that cooler. I'm really skittish about removing the motherboard though...new turf for me.

590 Posts

March 1st, 2016 12:00

There's a seller on Amazon who has the Intel DBX-B cooler for $17 with free shipping here

A review of it here.  They basically concluded it was a top-notch cooler at the time - no need to go out and buy another.  And this was with an overclocked LGA 1366 socket which, well, isn't possible with the Dell.  Keeping what's in the Dell cool at reasonable cost is probably where it's at.

I did the upgrade years ago but if memory serves removing the motherboard wasn't too bad.  I think you'll have to do it regardless of which new cooler you choose.

675 Posts

March 1st, 2016 14:00

Thanks for all this info. I wonder whether it would be compatible with the i7-960 (I don't see why not, since that's also socket LGA1366.

The biggest difference I can see with this is that it (apparently) blows hot air on the RAM; other aftermarket coolers would blow it at the GPU. The stock cooler blows it at the side of the case (perpendicular to the CPU, or "up" if you have the case lying with the motherboard side of the case on the floor when installing).

I wonder whether that's bad for the RAM.

675 Posts

March 1st, 2016 15:00

Thanks once again, techgee. I was basing my obviously uniformed guess on the photo in the review> The fan was shown facing the RAM: I thought that was the direction of airflow.

I'll definitely look into this assuming I get over my fear of removing the mother board. I've replaced lots of hard in the past including the processor, but have never messed with the mother board...:emotion-41:

Thanks for all your help.

No Events found!