Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2016 03:00

Dell T5500 Workstation - problem with Win7 stop error 0x0000007B

Hello to all,

I'm experiencing very strange problem with Dell T5500 workstation. In my office I have a couple of identical T5500 precision workstations. I do a regular maintenance and make Acronis image regular  of each machine.

Two days ago I experienced a so called "Smart Event" on one HDD on one Dell workstation. Also Windows issued a warning that HDD is failing. I made another acronis image backup. During backups I never had any problems or warnings.

This machine had two HDDs, but RAID was not active. So I exchanged the failing HDD and simply restored acronis image. The complete process went without any problems. But when Windows started for a split of second I saw blue screen and then infinite reboot.

With F8 I have disables automatic reboot and then I saw that the error is famous 0x0000007B(0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0x0...34,0,0)

Based on what I saw on the Internet it is most likely problem with disk controller.

No settings in BIOS were changed!

No other HW except HDD is changed. Insted of Segate 500 GB, I have placed WD 500GB in the same HW.

Windows rescue CD cannot repair the startup. Windows is Win7 64 bit SP1.
 I tried everything that I found on the internet (manually fix boot and mbr, change regedit keys SCSI Miniport...) but that didn't help.

I decided to try one more thing. On other working machine, I have made backup, removed HDD, put new HDD and restored a backup that I made 1 hour earlier. The result is the same. Windows cannot start with the 0x00000007B blue screen error.

I had an earlier version of Acronis (2016 and 2013) but that didn't worked either. So I just put back original HDD and completed test on this machine. This was important to know that problem is not other HW.
In the Dell BIOS all computer have default settings RAID on. I have tried to change this setting to ATA and AHCI on the machine on which there is a problem, but that didn't solve anything.

The problem still persists. Clean new install Windows 7 is not an option because I have a lot of other company programs and I'm not able to install and to configure all of them.

If I start computer with windows rescue CD it finds Windows installation and all partitions. It has all the data and when trying to repair I even enter Win Admin password. So all data are correctly restored except that maybe somehow acronis put one of its drivers that make some conflict that prevents windows to start.

Any help would be really appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 05:00

BIOS SATA OPERATION changed from ATA TO AHCI  or the other way round causes this.  Moving hard drive from one machine to another also causes this.  You cant move hard drive unless both systems are EXACTLY the same.

STOP: 0x0000007B   Inaccessible Boot Device.
This error is VERY Specific.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

13 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 11:00

Hello Speedstep and thank you for your reply.  Like I sescribed in detail in my original post, the hdd was failig and I have put a new one. I have configured this new hdd with one existing unesd drive as raid 1 using intel storage manager duirng post. After that I have used acronis image and restored it. The file system is ok, but the system is not bootable. Since I dont have dell recovery and beckup software, I need now any way to make my C partition active and bootable. Normal windows rescue disk doesn'tcorrect startup problem.

Can you recommend some tool to make my C partition bootable? No other hw is changed. I have two more fully operational dell workstations so perhaps  I can use one of them to produce some tools and use them on my unbootable machine?

13 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 12:00

Hello Rohe,

I have checked and default setting in bios is raid on. I have three possible settings:

1. auto raid / ahci

2. auto raid / ata

3. raid on

I even tried to load defauts and it still stayed on Raid on. I am pretty sure that solution is by changing registry as described here:

www.manjeetjakhar.com/.../how-to-fix-bsod-0x0000007b-on-win7-and.html

But here is not described option that I need (raid).

Ihaveone more raid t5500 with bootable windows 7 pro 64bit. I'm thinking to open registry on working machine and write down settings but not sure if I would include all the needed keys.

I hope there is someone here who has more experience.

Thank you once again for your time

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 12:00

As SpeedStep said, BIOS probably either got changed from AHCI>ATA or other way 'round.

Even if you didn't intentionally make any changes to BIOS, it's possible the battery was too weak to hold the settings while you did the transplant. So BIOS settings may have reverted to the factory defaults.

Most likely the default setting is ATA and needs to be reset to AHCI, but you probably need to install a fresh CR2032 coin cell battery first, otherwise the setting change may not hold...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 15:00

Have your tried setting BIOS to Auto RAID/AHCI?

But are you saying this system was set up as a RAID array before the HDD failed? And if that's true, was it RAID 0 or RAID 1?

If it was a RAID array, then you either have to break the RAID setup or re-establish it. But RAID 0 can't be re-established because no single drive has a complete copy of any file. So your files are probably lost.

If it was RAID 1, reboot and immediately press Ctrl-I to open the RST control panel and look for an option to rebuild the array. This assumes you have 2 similar size and functional hard drives installed so you can re-build the array.

13 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 23:00

Hello RoHe,

initial setting in BIOS was Raid on and there were two drives in the t5500 station but dey were not configured as RAID. During boot (while machine was still working) I could see list with these two disks and with green colored letter something like "No member disk" (I don't recall exactly).

So the other HDD was there but wasn't used. The disk that failed contained windows. So I added new HDD and decided to make RAID, I used Ctrl+I to enter to Intel storage ROM and configure both disk as Volume0 Raid1.

I used restore from acronis restore image and ended up with blue screen and infinite reboot. I have also tried to switch BIO to Autoraid /AHCI but that didn0t solved the problem. It is the same.

I'm pretty much sure it is something abut the storage drivers. I have decided to use Acronis Universal restore with option to add driver files. And I have downloaded .exe file called DRVR_SAS_PERC_MSM-DV6JF_setup_ZPE, but when extracting this and its .cab file I cannot find any .inf file I can used to add to my Universal Acronis boot media. I used service tag to download this file (45 MB) so it corresponds to my machine.

Now I don't know how to extract file to take only drivers from it.

Do you have some suggestions?

Thank you

13 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 23:00

There is one more thing I forgot to mention. I don't have installation disk, because windows 7 64 bit pro cam with preinstalled OS. I have acronis backup images. i HAVE TWO MORE IDENTICAL MACHINES and I can make restore/backup images from them.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 24th, 2016 18:00

You can't use an image from a non-RAID setup to image drives you're trying to build into a RAID array.

All you can probably do is go back to a non-RAID using the image. Otherwise, you're going to have to do a clean install.

If you don't have a  Win 7 Installation disk, you may have to buy one on eBay or borrow one from somebody.

If you use a Dell Win 7 Reinstallation disk, it shouldn't ask for a product key, as long as it's the same version of Win 7, eg Home or Pro, that Dell installed. Note: The Dell Win 7 disk does not install any drivers, so download them from Dell's Support page onto a USB stick so they're available when Windows finishes installing.

If you use a non-Dell Win 7 disk, you'll need the Microsoft product key from the sticker on the PC, so make sure you have it. But again, it must be the same version of Win 7 as Dell installed for the key on the sticker to work.

13 Posts

December 24th, 2016 22:00

Hello RoHe,

thank you for your time. I really appreciate it. I do have product key. It is on a sticker on the casing of the computer. However, when I try to download windows 7 64 bit from Microsoft web page, I get message " The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer..."

But never mind that. I have one more idea that can probably help solving this. I have another T5500 working machine already set up in RAID1. IS it possible may to download DBMR (Dell Backup&Recovery) and install on this working machine. Then make system backup image and restore it on "problematic"? I never tried this software and asking it to try to save time, because I have already a lot of time spent on this problem? After that, I would change Computer name, IP addresses etc.

Is there any other way I can use other computer with identical HW components? The only difference is one HDD drive. On complete working comp I have two Seagate baracuda drives, on computer on which I have problem, one is WD and other is Seagate. I doubt this would be a problem because wheny trying to restore vie Acronis, it sees tham as one volume.

Thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 25th, 2016 08:00

There is no download of the DBAR image never has been.  Its on the encrypted recovery partition.

13 Posts

December 25th, 2016 09:00

So if I understood correctly, using this software:

www.dell.com/.../EN

will not produce system image file that can be saved on external HDD and then later used for restore purpose?

In this video is possible to create backup on external media.

www.youtube.com/watch

Thank you for your input, so I don't waste time trying this option.

Best regards!

13 Posts

December 25th, 2016 12:00

Hello SpeesStep,

if I understood correctly, it is not possible to use Dell Backup and Recovery software to make system image that can be saved to external media?

I saw this video that gave me the idea:

www.youtube.com/watch

DBRM can be downloaded from Dell web site for Win7 OS.

The idea is to download this software and install it on the Dell Precision workstation that works OK in RAID 1. Then I would make backup of its system partition (C:), save image to external drive and use Rescue CD with this external drive on problematic computer. I would then only restore C: partition and then change Computer name and IP addresses to original one.

It is strange that Dell backup and Recovery works in such way to tor recovery information on separate partition on the same disk, because in case disk fails, there will be no possibility to restore system on a new HDD.

Regards,

Mickaleto

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 30th, 2016 04:00

DBAR will make a recovery image using the encrypted data from the 12 Gig recovery partition.  Oem Drives are "tatooed" with a private encryption key at the factory.

Downloading DBAR does not create a recovery partition.  This is pre installed by Dell at the factory.

Any NEW drives or modified drives do not have the recovery and will fail to "recover" with Error 0x4001100200001005

No Events found!