Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 26th, 2017 23:00

Dell Vostro 200 Slim won't start...would like help!

Hi, my beloved Vostro 200 Slim tower died.  My power went out, and when the power to my house was restored, the computer wouldn't power on.  It would not make any noise.

Specifically,

1) the motherboard "yellowish" light was on

2) the faint blue light next to the power button was on.

So...I did a couple things

1) GeekSquad verified that my power supply unit works.  They plugged it into their gizmo and it apparently works.

2) I replaced the motherboard the other day, still doesn't work.

3) the hard drives work because I bought a new computer and tested them.

I really want my Vostro back.  I had Windows XP, everything was set up just exactly perfect.  I really don't want to use this new current OS Windows 10.  And if I do, I want to ease into it.  I'm willing to spend a few hundred bucks to get my vostro back, and have considered buying a refurbished one online and just swapping the parts / hard drives.  Any other suggestions?

Would really appreciate your help.  Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 27th, 2017 11:00

Yellow LED on motherboard only says that power is available not that the system is working.
Gizmo's do not validate working power supplies under load.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Vostro-Pentium-Dual-Core-Professional/dp/B004H3DHLK/

15 Posts

February 28th, 2017 15:00

One last thing.  I think I have a Intel Core 2 Duo e4400 based on the processor markings and my research.  Do you think if I swap the harddrives from my system into the same Dell Vostro that might have a slightly different processor that everything will still be OK?  I see a lot of Pentium e2180 processors and the only difference I can see is the L2 cache (1 MB vs 2 MB).  Same core number.

Any opinion?  Thanks very much!

15 Posts

February 28th, 2017 15:00

OK, makes sense.  I just bought a replacement power supply and will be here in a few days.  If that doesn't work, any other possible suggestions?

Or is the link above the suggestion that it's time to get a replacement computer.  I'm not sure what else can be done.

8 Posts

March 1st, 2017 04:00

smgarcia, Just happened across your thread here, as the reference to the Vostro 200 Slim caught my attention, having myself once had similar issues with a rather problem-plagued Vostro 220 Slim which, after 2 mobo and 3 power supply replacements is now a very functional, fashionable, and trouble-free doorstop. (the one and only of more than 20 various model Dell machines I own that turned out to be a disappointment). But, regarding your system and the power supply replacement related situation, there was a very odd-ball situation with my 220, and some other owners as well, that went unsolved and shelved the machine for months before stumbling across the super-simple fix. So, just in case it may help with getting yours back into stable operation, I offer it for you now. Our 'symptoms' were, following the first mobo & power supply replacement we began having frequent times where the machine would refuse to start. Sometimes it would power up only a few seconds before "going dark", other times it might run an hour, or a day then suddenly cut out as if there were no power, yet it still showed the small blue /amber lights in back. As Slim desktops are frequently known for being 'jam-packed' and thus prone to heat-related issues and power supply deaths, another new pwr supply went in, but to no avail. In the end, all the erratic issues we were experiencing at that time were later completely fixed simply by replacing the CMOS coin battery on the mobo. It was not dead, but only read something like 1.85V of the 3V it should. While that might not have made the slightest hiccup in other models, it had a huge impact on the 220's, yet for many months was missed by everyone, Dell tech's included, as being the big bad monkey wrench which only looked like a needle in the haystack. Just an item to be aware of should you run into strange behavior with a fresh power supply. Best of luck!

15 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 00:00

FatrCat, thank you for your wonderful response.  When I replaced the motherboard it came with a CMOS battery, and I presume that battery was good.  I have exchanged just about everything in this computer except for some random wiring here and there.  It literally won't do anything when I hit the power button, no sounds or anything. I've replaced the mobo and powersupply, the hard disks work too.  Maybe it's the processor?  

In any event I just ordered a Dell Vostro online on ebay.  If this doesn't work then I won't know what will.  I want my old computer back!

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 8th, 2017 06:00

CMOS batteries are not expensive.  Go to your local grocery store and buy one.  Duracell DL2032 batteries are the same ones that are used in blood sugar meters and huge hearing aids that are worn around the neck.  They have these in the battery section or pharrmacy section of the grocery store at somewhere around $6 for 2.  They last 10 years on the shelf but not very long installed because the date/time clock uses them when the machine is not attached to power.  Eveready CR2032 and Panasonic CR2032 are also the same battery.

No Events found!