Highlighted
IntelBoy4790k
1 Nickel

Dell Vostro 230 slim Tower Won't POST with Nvidia GT 730.

Jump to solution

Yes, I know the Vostro 230 is an older computer. But I really would like for it to work. Anyway, My Vostro has a 2.93GHz Core 2 Duo e7500, 4gb DDR3 Ram, and a 200gb seagate hard disk.  I have the 250 watt PSU.  The GT 730 is a low powered card however, and does fall within the wattage limit.  Whenever I insert the card into the computer's PCI Express x16 slot, the computer fails to POST.  I get a black screen. However, the fans on the graphics card, CPU, and psu all function properly.  I really would like to get this fixed, I have tried all graphics settings in the BIOS, I have the BIOS fully updated,  I even tried clearing the CMOS. Please help!!

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rdunnill
5 Iridium

RE: Dell Vostro 230 slim Tower Won't POST with Nvidia GT 730.

Jump to solution

It is possible the video card is incompatible. In that case, the only solution is a different video card.

0 Kudos
Mary G
6 Indium

Jump to solution

See the requirements--you need a minimum 300w power supply and a double slot available.

www.geforce.com/.../specifications

You need an older video card that would not be much better than the integrated graphics you have now. Consider replacing the old model Vostro or using it as is until you can.

0 Kudos
IntelBoy4790k
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I know what the requirements are for the card.  The requirements for graphics cards are often grossly overrated.  The card draws 24 watts of power, the max the PCIe slot outputs is 25 watts.  It is a stretch, but it should work.  Power in this case is not an issue.  It's just the face that my system doesn't work with this card.  Also, I have no need to upgrade.  I have a very capable custom built computer as my main workstation.  This Vostro is a secondary PC for backing files up.

0 Kudos
xuchuan
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Everybody suggest that you should change one video card,but i think if you don't choose the right one, you will take great risks,you can try this store http://www.parts-dell.cc/ ,they will exchange the video card until it is the right one for your Dell Vostro 230 slim Tower.

0 Kudos