Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2015 16:00

Dell Vostro 2520 Power On Failure.

This laptop was working just fine with Win7x64 for at least a month before this problem presented itself. The Dell Laptop wouldn't respond to touchpad or keyboard input; a 4 second ATXpower off was done and since then, the laptop will only go through this consistant power cycle that doesn't seem to even pass the bios boot. All I get now is a few lights, a gentle click from the DVD and repeat.

In the spirit of being a trained computer junkie, I then began to disassemble the laptop to diagnose further, with my intention to re-seat the RAM by trading their positions and to check for any other obvious problems like loose cables and such. The RAMwas reseated and cables were also reseated with no change in the machines response to power.

If anyone has insight to this, or perhaps suffers from the same (or similar) problem on their machine, please share your comments and post a video reply or a link to your video observation of yours. I would like to fix this so my wife can have a nice laptop to use.

During the dissassembly, the sluminim plate underneath the keyboard sliced through the keyboard's ribbon cable. Now Ineed a new keyboard since the ribbon cable is not a seperate component. The aluminumin plate will not hesitate to slice through the cable, and without any resistance - you won't know it until you've inspected the part before reinstalling, so be aware during dissassembly.

A video of the laptop showing this problem taking place is on my YouTube channel:
www.youtube.com/watch

September 3rd, 2015 23:00

Hi, 

This looks like a motherboard failure. If you want the keyboard part# do let us know. 

Was there any liquid spillage or system being dropped situations??

Regards

2 Posts

September 4th, 2015 07:00

It would seem evident to be a component-based failure. Sadly, not entirely uncommon today.  

I now find myself considering the likelihood of the one I use for field work to pull the same stunt, considering the clients and time-sensitive contracts I work with regularly, it would not be a good day for me.

I consider a laptop motherboard failure a near "whole-product" replacement after you consider the time it consumes to replace it individually, but then I wouldn't be a computer junkie.

That said, the part numbers of the motherboard and keyboard would be great to have in this post thread. 

If anyone else has some insight on this specific occurrence, that'd be swell to share as well.

Thank you very much.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 4th, 2015 13:00

zaqhydn

As you have a Laptop, better to post this in the Laptop Forum here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/default.aspx

Bev.

September 5th, 2015 20:00

Hi,
Please PM us your system tag#.