Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2013 22:00

Dell Vostro 410 stuck on "Dell" startup screen

When I turn on my Dell Vostro 410 it stops when the "Dell" start up screen appears. I am using Vista premium Business.

Pressing F12 or F2 Doesn't do anything.

1.5K Posts

May 25th, 2013 05:00

Hi tassie123,

Please try draining out the residual charge from the system. Here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer.
  • Then remove the power supply.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Reconnect the power supply only.
  • Try to restart the computer and check functionality.

If the issue still persist, remove the hard drive from the system and check if the system is booting to BIOS. You may refer to the Service Manual for the instructions and please follow the safety guidelines before removing any hardware component.\

If the system boots to BIOS without the hard drive being connected, please load the BIOS to defaults. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F2' key to enter the 'BIOS'.
  • Navigate to the option of Load Defaults on the main menu and press the right arrow key to access it.
  • Press F10 to save and exit once you have load the BIOS to defaults.

Reconnect the hard drive back to the system and check if it boots. Hope this helps.

Please reply with the findings.

2 Posts

June 16th, 2013 01:00

Draining the residual charged worked well and I got full startup. HOwever it has subsequently happened again and will not restart. I will follow the additional instructions you recommend and repost.

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2013 07:00

Hi tassie123,

Thank you for sharing the information and replying back. I would also recommend that you perform diagnostics to confirm hardware functionality if you are able to boot again. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F12' key to enter the 'Boot Menu'.
  • Use the 'Down Arrow' key to highlight the 'Diagnostics' or 'Boot to Utility Partition' option. Press the 'Enter' key.
  • When the Dell Diagnostics main menu appears, select the 'Extended Test' you want to run.
  • The diagnostics will begin. Please note the exact error message/code, if any appears on the screen.

Please reply with the information. I'll be happy to assist further.

No Events found!