DKLM
1 Copper

Dell Windows 10 System Image Backup and Restore

Computer: Several Dell models all upgraded to Windows 10 Home during the free upgrade period, followed by the Anniversary Update:  Dell Xps 435MT (upgraded from Vista -> Windows 7 -> Windows 10), 8700 (upgraded from Windows 8.1 -> Windows 10), 8100 (upgraded from Windows 7 -> Windows 10)

Target:   Recovery of Windows 10 Home ver 1607(Anniversary Update) with all subsequent updates, and installed programs .

Known:   System Image Backup if one can be created will meet target requirement at least up to the last time the system image backup was taken. 

Found: Many solutions but not sure which will be applicable for the Dells above

A.  Generic procedures for Windows 10: W1. Windows System Image backup; W2. Windows System Image recovery, W13:  Creating bootable Windows ISO disc.

B.  Procedures for Dell seems to be unique for Dell, but uncertain which Dell System Image Backup and Recovery solution is applicable or available for the Dells above.

D1.  Dell Backup and Recovery (DBaR) and Windows 10.  I don’t remember or being notified to update DbaR before the Windows 10 update (see D1.Note for this tool). 

Later, I saw the notification for the XPS 8700 (originally 8.1) and applied the update but all I see NOW is Backup and Recovery (Windows 7) not 8.1.   D1 may not be available to 

Now I read that one needs to pay for backup and restore.  So D1 may ot available to me  “DBaR 1.9 is only available for systems that upgrade to Windows 10. The DBaR Update to version 1.9 is only available to systems that upgrade to Windows 10. This is to maintain compatibility for the DBaR application. Systems that ship with Windows 10 will not have DBaR pre-installed. D1.NOTE: If DBaR is not updated as recommended (prior to updating to Windows 10), the only recourse left is to revert back to previous working OS. If the OS rollback not successful, the final solution may require a fresh OS and DBAR reinstall.”

D2:  How to create a backup system image/repair boot disk in Windows 7, 8 and 10 (support.lenovo.com/.../ht117672).  This article assumes the backup and recovery tool exists.

D3:  How to create and use the Dell Windows recovery image (http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN299044/how-to-create-and-use-the-dell-windows-recove...) which involves downloading Dell ISO recovery image file (.exe) and Dell OS Recovery Tool (.msi).   The Dell ISO recovery image does not seem to meet my target requirements.

Question: 

(1)     What free backup and recovery tool to create system image and recovery using system image and the procedure for Dell after the computer has been updated to Windows 10?   Please provide.

(2)     Re D1, why do computers upgraded from Win 7 and Win 8.1 showing Backup and Recovery (Windows 7)?  Does that mean DbaR had been updated before the Windows 10 upgrade and can apply the D1 solution?  Will D1 solution require payment to Dell to use?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
speedstep
6 Thallium

RE: Dell Windows 10 System Image Backup and Restore

Upgrading breaks the DBAR so you might as well get rid of it entirely.   DBAR is now also END OF LIFE END OF SUPPORT.  

I recommend  

http://www.aomeitech.com/download.html

OS support: Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP (all editions, 32 & 64 bit).

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DKLM
1 Copper

Rockstar's answer provided one option - buy or download a tool. Another may be Acronis.  Don't know which is reliable and trust worthy to perform when time comes to recover a Dell system from system image.  May be virtual machine (vmware) to clone.  Thanks Rockstar.  

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

AOMEI is FREE and works fine.

There is also a program called macrium reflect that is free but its harder to use  and install IMHO than AOMEI.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Tags (1)