Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 11th, 2014 00:00

Dell XPS 2710 All-In-One Won't Boot, Screen Completely Blank

Hi. This is my first post on the forums and I hope someone can help me.

The Dell XPS 2710 All-In-One that I bought for my 10-year-old son 15 months ago (yes, that means the warranty is expired) will not boot. No post, no beep, nothing. Just a brief flicker of light on the screen, no words, nothing. The machine gets casual use and there is nothing to indicate what could have caused the problem. I did not upgrade the BIOS recently, so it's not like it was a bad BIOS upgrade or anything. I've tried hitting the F1, the F2, the F12, and the DEL keys during boot. No result.

The video is working. I know this because I can connect my laptop to the HDMI-in port and I can see the desktop of my laptop just fine. So the issue is NOT the video. My son uses this machine for homework and occasional movies in his room. I would like to fix the computer if I can. I am handy with computers and built several machines from the ground-up in the past.

I believe the most likely scenario is that the motherboard has gone bad; there are numerous posts around the internet about the 2710 AIO motherboards being unreliable. I saw a posting on the Dell forums from a guy who said Dell Tech Support replaced his 2710 motherboard five times. I see some of these motherboards selling on eBay for around $200. I'm toying with the idea of getting one. I've looked at the service manual for the 2710 and I'm fairly confident I could replace the board.

Has anyone had experience with swapping out their motherboard on a 2710 AIO? Or does anyone have any ideas about what else the problem with my son's computer could be? I appreciate any advice/help that someone could offer.

47 Posts

January 16th, 2016 16:00

I called Dell support and they told me the motherboard wasn't available.  The foreign support was so condescending.  What do you expect...the system is three years old were his exact words.  It was $209 to ship directly to me.   It was this huge build up over a few weeks because I wasn't sure if I would spend the extra hundred to have someone come to my house to install.  When I decided to just ship the motherboard to me I found out it wasn't available.  You would think they would know from day one the part is out of stock. 

2 Posts

March 24th, 2016 14:00

Dell does not have any Mother Boards available, the product is considered end of life and Dell is not sure if any more motherboards will be made for the XPS 2710

10 Posts

March 24th, 2016 16:00

That is a graphic card problem. Only way to fix it is bring it to a shop were they fix motherboard. they will reball the graphic chip for you and it is much cheaper then replacing the motherboard.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2016 14:00

Thanks,  I will look for places that repair motherboards.

3 Posts

April 10th, 2016 12:00

Hi guys... please forget about the idea that this issue can only be fixed by replacing the motherboard!

Here is how to fix a Windows 10 bricked Dell Xps One 2710 without buying an expensive new main board or replacing any other hardware!

If you power-on the 2710 and there is still only a black screen after a short flickering,
while the machine is unresponsive in any way, no boot screen, no beeping... nothing...
then this is for you.

It is all still there, you can fix it manually.
In case you want to know how, you can download the step-by-step instructions here:
https://payhip.com/b/KGMC

It is not really free, but everything is described in detail.
It is all about how to open the machine, how to handle the BIOS, getting the screen back... and how to bring the 2710 back to live after all.

At least it worked like that for me, so I wrote it down.

1 Message

April 15th, 2016 16:00

I have problem to time it. Do you have to touch the eject button?

8 Posts

April 16th, 2016 11:00

After waiting for well over a month I finally managed to get a new motherboard from Dell and it totally fixed all my problems. I had a 2XMCT motherboard and they send me a compatible replacement board 3VTJ7. The UPS courier came back couple of days later and wanted to take my old motherboard back to Dell but of course I left him empty handed because I had ordered a ridiculously expensive spare part and not any replacement service. They harased me with a few emails insisting that some small print in the guarantee (***!?) terms are saying that old parts must be returned to Dell but stopped after I said I will take this to the local Consumer Council.

3 Posts

April 16th, 2016 11:00

I don't think so.
AFAIR it is the right one of the three buttons right left to the eject button.
Probably it is a hint to play around with the others as well.
Someone in another forum was suggesting this.

10 Posts

May 6th, 2016 09:00

It didn't work for me, any luck anyone with Sammydoe method?

14 Posts

June 8th, 2016 12:00

Thanks for the info, but it is not working, Did it work for you? Also is there any other method, how do the motherboard repair comapanies repair it?

3 Posts

June 8th, 2016 12:00

Kelly,

I've 23 of them here that I'm playing with - I've gotten three to work thus far, but only those with the Nvidia  Video Motherboard.  Thought I was on to something, but I've two others that I've tried with the Nvidia that haven't gotten 'better'.

The crux of the situation and the fix is that is you can get into BIOS, you're golden.  Upgrade from there; reload windows (I've been doing this on the other three successfully ; Win 7 Pro).  It's getting into BIOS that is the kicker - pounding the Enter key is not a good solution, but until some engineer (who knows what that does in fact, rather than in theory) chimes in, we'll all left with that 'solution'

Like I said - worked for me on three of 5 thus far, and only on Nvidia boards - the two other Intel boards I've tried didn't give me anything yet, but I've 15 more machines to run through, and I'm giving them about a day each to try to get them working.

8 Posts

June 8th, 2016 13:00

I had Windows 10 running smoothly for over 6 months before my XPS ONE 2710 died so it was clearly not caused by the Windows upgrade. A repair company diagnosed that the integrated video chip was faulty. After replacing the motherboard myself I had no issues reinstalling Windows 10 and the machine has been running 24/7 for couple of months now like it did for three years before dying.

3 Posts

In the years we've been working on Dell's, I don't remember them every doing that, even for major design flaws (E5530 hinges come to mind).  We're a parts shop, so more errors on Dell's part is more business for us, but yeah, I agree - FRUSTRATING!!

Dell has no financial incentive to fix old machines when they rolled out a quick fix in the 2720.  I have a few of those that have broken screens that I need to run through as well.

I'd not pay the $270 to get back to a machine that is working on a failed OS (8.anything ***!!  Like Win ME or what ever was after XP).

Sorry for your troubles - when/if I come upon a better solution, I'll let you all know.

14 Posts

Thanks, its really frustrating that Dell is just watching this and offers no meaningful solution from the hardware side. I spoke to them and they want $270 plus tax to fix it and also be stuck with win 8 forever. I dont think it is worth at this point to spend the amount what dell is asking on a 3 year old machine.

This should be made a recall ASAP or offer atleast some compensation

No Events found!