Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2011 13:00

Dell XPS 420 Desktop Start Up Problems

Hi all.

I’m having major trouble with my desktop; it does not want to start up at all. Not even BIOS! When I switch my desktop on all that happens is the fan comes on rather loud, does nothing else just the lights and the loud fan. I have tried unplugging and re-plugging some of the power cable. Another worrying thing is, when I take out the RAM and start up the computer it does beep to tell me something is wrong, same for graphics card. No beeping or other sounds to indicate what is wrong.

Any help would be brilliant!

Thanks Jack

February 14th, 2011 14:00

when I turn it on its just the normal solid blue light. But I will look through and see if I can spot anything. Thanks

the lights are 1, 3 and 4. 

11 Posts

Bev, it seems like you may be ignoring me. Why? :emotion-6:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Fletcher1991 

Check the four Diagnostic lights on the front top bezel.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Fletcher1991 

What is the colour of the power button LED, is it blinking, solid?

Check the reading of the 4 diagnostic lights on the front panel.

THIS

is the XPS 420 troubleshooter and diagnostic guide.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 14th, 2011 15:00

Fletcher1991 

Good luck.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Bev, it seems like you may be ignoring me. Why? :emotion-6:

salvia

I've already posted my answers to your issues and have nothing further to add to them.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

the lights are 1, 3 and 4. 

Fletcher1991 

Diagnostic lights 1-X-3-4 is not a listed Diagnostic light pattern and together with no 'beeps', could indicate a motherboard issue.

Try the following, if you are comfortable working around computers:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals and the power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory modules from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a possible motherboard replacement.

Bev.

Bev

Thanks for all your help. Will try that method tomorrow when i have some spare time.

Thanks again.

3 Posts

August 27th, 2011 20:00

Bev have you had the same problem ?  I was transferring files to a USB device. at the same time i ran a tune up scan. during that time i saw a message that an external something or other stopped working, it asked me if i wanted to look for a solution on line or stop the program, i stopped it. computer was working fine until i shut it down, when i restarted it hours later i had this problem. Power button lite on blue. Fans on High Trouble lites 1 3 4 on steady and no boot up,

seems that no USB device is working , no keyboard no mouse and no usb head set. is this something i did or is this a common problem,

No Events found!