Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2011 08:00

Dell XPS 420 PSU and installation

Hello! I'm looking to buy a XFX ATI Radeon HD 6670 to replace my Radeon HD 4200 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+ATI+Radeon+HD+6770+1GB+DDR5+PCI+Express+2.1+Graphics+Card/2293037.p?id=1218320074686&skuId=2293037.

I'm not making the purchase until beginning of october so I have plenty of time to figure everything out. In order to upgrade my graphics card to a 6670, I need to get a new PSU. I plan on getting a Corsair 600W or a 650W. http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Certified-Compatible-Platforms-CMPSU-600CXV2/dp/B004W2T2UQ/ref=pd_cp_e_2 (600) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012 (650)

I know for a fact my 375W will not hold up to such a powerful graphics card. I believe a 500W will be sufficient but I'm going higher for future upgrades. Anyway, my problem is that the casing for the 420 is a little odd and outdated so there is no power switch spot and the screws line up weird. I think the PSU i'm getting has the same screw lineup because it's a standard atx. If you look at this PSU (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017XEGCM?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dynadata-20) you can see the screw lineup. I was going to get that PSU but it is only 500W. 

In order to fix my problem, I need to create a spot for the switch to go in (which i don't mind doing because i love the xps case) or buy a new case. I could also get a different PSU that doesn't have the power switch and has the same screw lineup. That is going to be hard to find, thanks a lot Dell... Anyway, buying a new case wouldn't be so difficult if 1. I didn't love the xps case so much cause of its great airflow, mini-screen and other things and 2. If i wasn't such a beginner with taking out the motherboard, card slots (is that possible? it was an extra on the front), and all the other stuff. RAM, Hard drives and the simple stuff is easy :P. So what should I do? I really just wanna cut a hole for the power switch, but i would have no idea how to do that. I'm not good at cutting metal or anything. Only drilling, which makes drilling new holes for the screws easy if necessary. I'll accept any other solutions too :) I really like the graphics card I'm going for and don't want to change that. Thanks in advance! 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2011 09:00

White Fox

XPS420 systems do not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin, main motherboard power connector.

Because the XPS420 have an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used, you should be able to buy a replacement from most local and online computer stores.

Note: You need a power supply, with five SATA power connectors.

The PC Power and Cooling PPCS500D Silencer 500 Dell 12V 80+ Certified Power Supply, shown in your link should work fine in the XPS 420, providing it has five [or more] SATA power connectors.

Bev.

8 Posts

July 31st, 2011 11:00

I did not even realize it was an open back. That makes me feel so stupid haha. Why do I need five SATA power connectors? And 500W will be enough for that graphics card? I know when a graphics card says it needs 400w or so, it is just an estimate and isn't the wattage the graphics card needs, but the whole computer.

I have another concern about my RAM. It is install it two sets of pairs. I'm not entirely sure how much each stick is, but I believe I should have 4gb of RAM and not 3 since other xps420's have 4Gb. Why is it like that? I don't see one pair having two sticks of half a gig to combine with the other set to make 3Gb.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2011 11:00

I did not even realize it was an open back. That makes me feel so stupid haha. Why do I need five SATA power connectors? And 500W will be enough for that graphics card? I know when a graphics card says it needs 400w or so, it is just an estimate and isn't the wattage the graphics card needs, but the whole computer.

I have another concern about my RAM. It is install it two sets of pairs. I'm not entirely sure how much each stick is, but I believe I should have 4gb of RAM and not 3 since other xps420's have 4Gb. Why is it like that? I don't see one pair having two sticks of half a gig to combine with the other set to make 3Gb.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

White Fox

The XPS 420 motherboard has five SATA connectors, for five SATA devices.

As you are replacing the power supply, personally I would install a 600w/650w PSU, instead of the 500w, it's your choice.

Regards to the 4gb of RAM, it's because of the 32-bit operating system that's installed.

When you have a 32-bit system, this does not recognize 4gb of memory, 3±gb is all a 32-bit system can address.

Basically what it means is, while you can install 4gb of memory in the system, the reason it’s not recognized is mainly due to 32-bit processors and/or 32-bit applications on memory address limitations.

64-bit processors & operating systems will recognize beyond the 32-bit limitation.

Bev.

8 Posts

July 31st, 2011 12:00

I listed a corsair 600 and a corsair 650 in my original post. I will most likely go with the 650. I have one final question though. What is the difference between cx, hx and tx for a PSU. I recently had to reinstall windows and only had a 32 bit cd and not the original 62 bit. So that makes sense. Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2011 14:00

I listed a corsair 600 and a corsair 650 in my original post. I will most likely go with the 650. I have one final question though. What is the difference between cx, hx and tx for a PSU. I recently had to reinstall windows and only had a 32 bit cd and not the original 62 bit. So that makes sense. Thanks again.

White Fox

The following is from Corsair:

TX - NON Modular - All cables are attached to the power supply be default, 80+ Bronze (up to 85% efficient)

HX - SEMI Modular - Motherboard power cables are attached, peripheral cables are not, 80+ Bronze (up to 85% efficient)

AX - FULLY Modular - All cables are detached by default, 80+ GOLD (up to 90% efficient)

Also, to find more info, about this subject, Google is your friend

Bev.

8 Posts

July 31st, 2011 20:00

Thank you. I will go for an HX or AX. I really appreciate your help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2011 21:00

White Fox

You are welcome and I'm happy to have helped.

Bev.

1 Message

November 5th, 2011 17:00

I was wondering if you guys could help with my problem, I too have to upgrade my power supply for a new graphics card. I went with an OCZ 750 watt modular for my new GTX560 graphics card. Install went fine, card, psu, no problems as I have built a few machines in my day. Although while I am good at building computers it doesn't mean I know everything about every part in the systems.

When I went to power on the system for the first time after the install there was a 2 second delay followed by a blink on my XPS mini display and then nothing. I dont even thing the fan on the psu ever moved. I removed the vid card and tried again and nothing. I then called OCZ who told me how to jump the 3rd and 4th pins to try and start the psu without the system and it didnt work so I took it back to microcenter where I bought it and they ran a better test on it (saying the paper clip jumper thing was unreliable) their tester showed the psu was fine but still gave me a new psu (I actually went from a 600 up to the 750 watt I have now. Came hope new psu installed and nothing. No power to machine. I pulled the new vid card and psu oput put back my old psu and vid card and system came up and is working fine.

Im hoping I did something wrong but it was really a no brainer.. however I will retrace my install in the hopes I missed something.

1. Installed hardware

2. inserted the 20 +4 plug into MB

3. Inserted the 4 pin into MB (assuming cpu) 

4. Inserted two 6 pins connectors for the vid card

5. inserted three sata cables for for my HD and DVD and vid card.

There is some power makeing it through because on the mother board near where the vid card goes in there is a light (little yelloow one) and it is on while the power supply is on yet no fan movement on the psu.

Your assistance in this matter is appreciated

Doc

February 9th, 2013 13:00

Hi White Fox i know its a little to late to ask but i just need  a few questions about your PSU. What PSU did you chose on your your previous link that says 650, and 600?. I also wanted to know if Corsair HX 650 is the best choice or the CX 600 Corsair?

My desktop is XPS 420 Currently has 375 watts. I'm planning to get new Graphic card that required about 400 watts, But i wasn't sure what PSU should i upgrade on my XPS 420. I was hoping you could help me..& Thanx

-3Gb RAM

-Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz  2.39GHz

-1TB Hard drive

-System type: 32 bit system

No Events found!