Highlighted
Do_Not Know
1 Nickel

Re: Dell XPS 420 X-Fi Screech

Toronto699-I HAVE BEEN DELLIFIED! How can a company so large still have the highest market shares? They do nothing right for there customers and everything they say is misleading. I wish I had of stayed with Gateway. I wish I had of known about this forum before I wasted my time and money. Can you tell me where I can find additional info from Chris_M's last post and also heard a new forum started on the screech of death but I don't see it.
0 Kudos
Toronto699
4 Tellurium

do a seach on" screech" i in this forum  xps 720 screech ,   420 screech   xps 420 screech , there thousands of posts.

0 Kudos
XPS_BLITZ
1 Nickel

Hello there, this is my first post after reading a lot about the so called "screech of death"...

First I thought my DELL soundbar was to be blamed but after reading so many post about that problem this has  apparently a far bigger dimension.

My XPS 420 (Q9300, 4GB, Vista 32bit) was deliverd on the 29.07.2008 and after a while a experienced the screech for the first time: I checked the Creative drivers which are actually from the date: 21.02.2008

Driver Nr.: 6.0.1.1283

Downloading and executing the driver setup from the DELL support site brought no success: it said that the installed driver was up to date and the setup routine quitted.

On the Creative website i found another driver for the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and Vista 32bit: 2.18.0004 from the 30.07.2008. Should I install this one or does someone know if this solves the screech - problem? (Should I de-install the old one first?).

XPS_Blitz

0 Kudos
Toronto699
4 Tellurium

install the creative  2.18.0004 driver and the latest audio console, there is no Solution for Screech , Dell is not even working on the Problem. Install the latest video driver as well. There is also other updated Apps At creative Check the release dates. Use driver sweeper to uninstall the Creative drivers u can find driver sweeper at Guru3d.com. Dell Audio and video drivers are always out of Date. Never install windows update audio drivers,
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 10-07-2008 01:03 PM
0 Kudos
Gabhan
1 Nickel

If you still have noticeable problems with the latest creative drivers, you could try these. Was having a screech at least once a day. None in over two weeks since I installed these...

http://www.youp-pax.org/viewthread.php?tid=615&extra=page%3D1

Gabhan

Kerry

Ireland

0 Kudos
XPS_BLITZ
1 Nickel

Thank you for your answers!

I decided to buy a DELL because of the good service but sometimes gold turns out to be led...

I will install the latest X-Fi driver, console driver and Alchemy (which I deleted during my Creative "investigations" on my PC -_-). For the (pre) installed rest (like Creative Media Source 5) I don´ t have any purpose.

I think I will also use that driver sweeper - thx for the link, Toronto.

If these steps fail I will install the PAX drivers linked by Gabhan: Do I just install the PAX PCI XFI driver in additon the original Creative Console and Alchemy drivers (Edit: because it states in the description: "world first creative console launcher" )?

thx & greets

XPS_Blitz 

Message Edited by XPS_BLITZ on 10-08-2008 02:35 AM
Message Edited by XPS_BLITZ on 10-08-2008 02:36 AM
0 Kudos
Gabhan
1 Nickel

For PAX, I would uninstall all the Creative / Dell stuff and just install the PAX stuff.

Gabhan

0 Kudos

Creative would like to contact two of you IF you have the screech right now. Please provide me with the following information in a private message -
Name:
Email address:
Phone:
System Type:
Sound Card:
Operating System:

I will take the first two.
0 Kudos
XPS_BLITZ
1 Nickel

I deleted every pre-installed creative application except Creative Media Source 5 which I never have used so far. After that I deleted everything possible with the driver sweeper in safe mode and I also updated the Catalyst graphics driver.

Just an information for other users who want to try their luck with the PAX drivers like Gabhan and me:

The PAX Driver comes together with the Console Launcher and the Audio Control Panel so it´s complete and "ready to use". After the installation process everything runs fine so far and I haven´t encountered any "screech"  - altough I must add that it has appeared approximately 7-9 times over a timespan of 3 months and not every day like in Gabhan´s PC.

I will report wheter the "screech" returns or if it´s gone. EDIT DURING TYPING -_- :

Screech reappeared right now. Chris M. - you´ve got mail.

XPS_Blitz

0 Kudos
XPS_BLITZ
1 Nickel

Does someone know wheter the "screech" problem occurs with EVERY Creative Card that DELL has in Stock, for example the X-Fi Extreme Audio or other cards or is every Creative card faulty?

I paid 95$ for the X-Fi Upgrade but if another soundcard makes no problems I would rather take one of these. Right now I´m writing a response to the DELL service.

0 Kudos