Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 21st, 2017 12:00

Dell XPS 435 MT Power Supply Problem.

Hi, 

My 2009 Dell XPS does not start.  The back on/off switch light lights up(red).  Front power button dos not turn on the fan.  I am guessing possibly power supply but don't understand why light for the on/off switch turns on.  The only PSU I could find locally was a Thermaltake TR2 W0070 at Frys which looks like    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023    

The Thermaltake has lots of colored wires.  Main Power Connector (24 pin); ATX 12V (4+4Pin); PCI-E(6 pin), SATA (5pin), Peripheral(4Pin), FDD(4Pin).  They are not labelled.  Counting the pins does not help, e.g. can't find a 5 pin plug, don't know which is FDD, etc or if any are not needed.

The Dell power replacement manual http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-435_service%20manual_en-us.pdf 

matching old PSU wires to new PSU wires.  What to do with extra wires from the new power supply (if any).

5 Posts

December 21st, 2017 13:00

Thanks for your answer.  Forgot to include the Dell model is 435MT.  Thanks for the SeaSonic link.  Looks like it has as many wires as the Thermaltake.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 21st, 2017 13:00

The linked power supply is a standard "ATX" power supply.  The best option is a "modular" power supply and with that only the cables/connectors needed are hooked up to the power supply.  Avoids all the extra non-used cables, trying to stuff them inside the case and potentially causing some air flow problems.

Here is an example of a fully modular power supply:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 21st, 2017 15:00

It has the wires but they are not all connected to the power supply.  Only the ones you need are connected (plugged in) to the power supply.  Unused are not, thus nothing to try and "stuff" inside the case.  I build my own desktops and have built several others for clients.  I only use fully modular power supplies.

The Thermatake has ALL the wires permanently connected.  

No Events found!