Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2011 13:00

Dell XPS 435T/9000 i7-920 number of CPU cores =1 ??

checking reasons for suddenly sluggish performance of this computer (running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit) I  noticed WEI Processor score shows 4.9.

I know this number should be in 7.4 range as my other 435T. Then on the same page I noticed under Number of processor cores: 1 instead of 4.

Re-run same test a couple times with same result, CPUID confirmed 1 core as well, having latest version of BIOS, also checked and  found # of enabled cores = all.

Called Dell and after 2hours of troubleshooting they couldn't figure out either what's going on here.

They suggest reinstall Win 7  from the scratch which I refused for obvious reason - no guarantee it's going to fix this issue and I would face major hassle to bring back all apps and settings.

Does anybody have any idea what problem could be here? Having still warranty I am worried the hardware/motherboard is failing on me.

Somehow I have a hard time belive it's a software issue...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2011 14:00

Hi Servicetag,

Did you already try the tricks shown here?

9 Posts

April 4th, 2011 20:00

Hi Servicetag,

Did you already try the tricks shown here?

Yes I did, but no luck. BTW thanks so much for your response.

1/  in MSConfig > Boot tab > Advanced Options > "Number of Processors"  - this wasn't checked, but I checked and unchecked anyway.

In exit it asked me to restart which I didn't.

2/ ) new version 2.02 of EasyBSD has slightly different menu but I managed to go into Advanced  Settings -> Developer and I checked  "Limit Widows to '0' CPUs,

even though there was nothing else to choose from (# 0 wasn't highlighted or selectable to enter any other number)

Instead Click "Apply Settings"  there was Save Settings which I did.

After Shutdown and booting up it still showed one core. When I went back into msconfig I noticed check mark was in place "Number of Procesors" 1.

Dell got me to install Dell Support Center v3.0 and run PC Check. Everything passed except "Multicore Test" with

warning message: "There are 4 cores in the CPU and only 1 core is enabled"

Test finished as : Misconfigured.

I can't find any other place to make changes. (besides BiOS and msconfig).

It's very frustrating and Dell doesn't seems to know what to do here either....

No Events found!