Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 31st, 2017 08:00

Dell XPS 435t/9000 fluctuating CPU Voltage and Clock Speed

Good morning, hope all is well with everyone!

Im having an issue with a recent upgrade.  I just upgraded my cpu from a i7 920 2.6 Ghz 4-core to a i7 970 3.2 Ghz 6 core on my XPS 435t/9000 (everything else is stock).  After installation, I noticed on the first boot the clock speed was capped at 2.6 Ghz (I believe the multipliers were at about x20) so I decided to restart it.

The second boot seemed to bring the clock up to 3.19 Ghz (multiplier was normal at x24 with base clock fluctuating), only to have each core flucuate between 1.5 Ghz and 3.19 Ghz.  The voltage also fluctuates between .7v and 1.12v, never reaching near the max voltage ay 1.375v (this is all seen via CPUID HWMonitor).  Core temperatures are around 40C with the stock heatsink switched to performance setting.

I do primarily music production so my computer is at its optimum when running constant at full clock speed.  Therefore, I usually have SpeedStep and C-States disabled with power settings set to high performance (min and max cpu settings are both at %100).

I had no issues with my 920 with all of this. Unfortunately I am unable to recall whether I had the option to change the cpu settings in the a15 bios (most likely, I did since I was able to run at full clock speed, with TurboBoost), but ever since I upgraded the bios to a16 and installed the 970, I've been having this issue and I have NO access to any of the cpu settings in the bios (TurboBoost, SpeedStep, C-States, etc) so I'm not even able to check to see if these are enabled.  I have the CPU power setting min and max set to %100 and still, nothing.

Sorry for the detail but I am at work at the moment so I'm not able to take screenshots.  If need be, I will take some when I get home.  Any insight will be much appreciated :)

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 31st, 2017 15:00

Its entirely possible that the "settings" are invisible because the bios version does not support the microcode for that processor.  This seems likely being that you say it goes down to 1.5ghz which should never happen.

February 1st, 2017 05:00

Well, I managed to sort of find a way around it with ThrottleStop and disabling EIST and C1E seemed to do the trick. I guess this will have to do.

Thanks for all of your help SpeedStep!

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 31st, 2017 08:00

Turbo boost speed is ONLY available when the other cores are Idle.

There has never been a setting that sets clock to max turbo boost and this is a 1st generation cpu.

You aren't going to get 4790k ddr4 speed from this.

Dell doesn't support HWmonitor or CPU-z so you could be getting false readings.  If you think the cpu is throttling I would check to see if the plastIc is cracked where it holds the HS to the cpu/motherboard.

Failure in this manner is common.

January 31st, 2017 09:00

Thank you for your insight!

Im not too concerned about TurboBoost, shouldn't have even mentioned it. Im more concerned about whether or not EIST is somehow causing this fluctuation since im not finding a way to change the setting.  But since you bring up the fact that HWmonitor and CPU-z isnt supported by Dell, I DID get a reading from Intel Extreme Tuning Utility with a constant 3.2 Ghz under my usual load of music production (it fluctuates a bit when idle). I'll have to check XTU again and see if I find EIST enabled.

In comparison to my Dell Latitude i5 2450m 2.6Ghz, I am able to get a constant 2.6 Ghz and a constant voltage even when idle with EIST and C-States disabled (which is what im aiming for). Now this is all according to CPU-z and HWMonitor so I'll do some more comparisons with XTU and even Task Manager when I return home.

Thanks again!

January 31st, 2017 09:00

Also, I don't think its throttling as it's running pretty quiet at around 40C average between all cores, with the fan set to Performance.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 31st, 2017 11:00

The enhanced C states are not a feature of 1st Gen Core I7 920.

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology is available in this model.

Cores 4

Threads 8

Processor Base Frequency 2.66 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency 2.93 GHz (So your 3GHZ is wishful thinking)

Cache 8 MB SmartCache

4.8 GT/s QPI

QPI Links 1

TDP 130 W

VID 0.800V-1.375V

You should not be getting such low frequency however on a 970

unless its a remarked fake cpu.

i7-970

Cores     6
Threads     12
Base Frequency     3.20 GHz
Turbo Frequency     3.46 GHz
Cache     12 MB SmartCache
4.8 GT/s QPI
QPI Links     1
TDP     130 W
VID Voltage Range     0.800V-1.375V

January 31st, 2017 12:00

The current issue I am having is with the i7 970 3.2 Ghz 6-core, not the 920. As I stated in the original post, I recently swapped out the 920 and replaced it with the 970.

Thanks for clarifying the C-States (or lack of) in the 1st Gen i7s.  Now that leaves EIST, there is no setting in the bios for me to turn on or off and I am wondering if this is the cause of my fluctuation issue.

I will post pics from XTU when I get home.

January 31st, 2017 17:00

I took some screenshots and, as I expected, EIST is indeed enabled, and TurboBoost is disabled..

Heres a screenshot from Task Manager as I caught it while it downclocks.

Here's what HWMonitor is showing me.

Well thats a bummer if it doesn't support the microcode :/.  Is there a way for me to fix this somehow?

No Events found!