Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

February 11th, 2009 13:00

Dell XPS 600 Start-Up Problems No Warranty

Hello,

My XPS 600 is about 3-4 years old and it doesn't want to start up. The front power LED is a solid amber color and the diagnostic trouble LED code has the number 4 lit up in the front. Also the rear fans whirl really fast and loud and the front light (the one you can change the color of to what you like) does not turn on at all. The CD and DVD drives light up like they are starting up but the computer doesn't display anything on the monitor. I have also gone through the diagnostic troubleshooter many times on this particular problem and haven't resolved it yet. It started having this problem a while ago and every time I could just turn the computer on and off or unplug it and it would start up normally, but now it just keeps having this problem. I have read similar posts about it but they don't have all the same symptoms. They all suggest motherboard or power supply problems and I want to make sure before I buy a replacement. Thank you to whoever can help.

Enigmas

2 Posts

August 24th, 2009 19:00

Hello, I was wondering if you found the solution to your problem??

Because just like you, I'm having the same problem and it started out 

exactly like yours!  I would just unplug it then plug it back in and then

it would boot up. 

Now mine wont even stay on.  It just keeps shutting down.

Let me know, thanks!

-Tom

3 Posts

September 9th, 2009 21:00

I am now getting the same problem. I had to replace my video card since the system was acting up as it would spontaneously shutdown. I replaced the video card and things worked fine for awhile as I figured the blank screen was a result of a bad video card. Now I just get a blank scree, solid amber light for the power button and LED 4 lit. At first I had LEDs 1, 2 and 3 lit and 4 off, which indicated some "other" error which included vid card errors. I reseated the video card a number of times and same result. Tried the video card in another machine and it worked. But this time when I put back in the video card and rebooted, I got no boot (just a black screen) and only LED 4 lit. Also the vid card fires up for no reason (the onboard fan starts going).

I've tried th Dell troubleshooting. No help. I removed and replaced the CMOS batter. No change, Replaced the RAM with a new set. Nada.

From the traffic around the net, people are saying the Mobo and PS are kaput.. I guess the old girl is headed to the recycler. For the cost to replace the Mobo and PS, I could easily get a barebones PC kit as replacement. *sigh*

Anyone else find a solution?

288 Posts

September 10th, 2009 11:00

I once owned the XPS 600 system and ended up with the same problem after about 6 months of bluescreens. I found that the capaciters were starting to leak and eventually over time the board would not post at all. If you look over the capaciters you may notice a brown residue or a bulging at the top or outer diameter. This generally means the board is toast and not worth fixing unless your into taking on these types of repairs.

No Events found!